Thursday, January 06, 2011

Post 5/365 - Cutting Hair and Faith

Date: 1/6/11
Time: 8:21pm
Place: Our Breakfast Room


I'm the resident hair stylist in my family. I cut, I comb, I brush and I braid. Don't get me wrong, Ted is pretty handy with the brush when I have to get ready for work and he's getting the kids ready for school. He gets the bed heads smoothed out with some water and a couple of swipes of the brush. But I'm the one who does all of the cutting....all the kids and Ted. Actually, I cut my parents hair, too. I cut their hair today before Ted's. If only I got a picture of that! But, I love doing this small task for them. What else can you do for your parents? Right now, mine aren't in the high need mode. So this is it. I'm treasuring it for as long as I can. Usually they come over to my house, but tonight I went over to theirs. My mom felt guilty "putting me out". "Let me watch you do Dad's so I can do it myself"...she said. I told her no. It gives me an excuse to see them and chat. We had a great chat tonight. We talked about Dad's Kindle and how he loves it so much. We talked about how Dad loves reading the footnotes in the Bible and how easy that is on the Kindle. We talked about the readings a couple of days ago. How Jesus walked on water while the apostles were tossed about in the storm...that they were scared until Jesus told them to not be afraid and stepped in the boat with them. We went on and on. I love my parents. They raised me with their faith. They ignited the fire that's still burning in me. It will go on long after their gone. And I will always be grateful. And maybe cutting their hair is one small way I can show that.

Thank you, God, for the way you channeled my faith through my parents. I'm grateful beyond words for them.

No comments: