Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 10/365 - How About Them Apps!

Date: 1/11/11
Time: 12:59
Place: Apple Store at the West County Mall
A couple of years ago, the abbreviated word "app" meant little to most people. Now the word is used constantly because of the iPhone...and some brilliant person's idea to let other people have access to the iPhone language to write their own apps and make them available to everyone. Because of these people, I'm totally addicted to my iPhone. I keep my calendar on it, I check the weather, I play on Facebook, I look up movie times, research menus from restaurants, Skye people, text people, and call people. I keep names, addresses and phone numbers on it. I take pictures, videos on it and view pictures and videos on it. I read my daily mass readings and meditations on it, and I can listen to music or talks. I can play games like spider solitaire and mine sweeper. I can't get lost because of the handy GPS app. I could plan a full road trip because it will tell me every restaurant, hotel, and gas station nearby, along the way. Oh yah, I read my e-mail on it. So you can imagine my frustration when I drop it at Target on Sunday and I pick it up to find my screen with a blank glow. No app icons. Just a glow. We looked it up on the Internet and they call it the "White Screen of Death". Sounded pretty bleak to me. Well, we called Apple on the phone and they said we'd probably have to pay $200 for a repair. I only paid $100 with a 2 year commitment. UGH. We brought it into the Apple Store where they do minimal repairs. The lady opened it up and found the defect and said she could replace it for free. That made me so happy! She said if there was an obvious accident (water in the phone, or cracked screen), she wouldn't have been able to replace it. She gave me a new phone on the spot! What a good day it was today. In this picture I show this very cool display of app icons hanging from the ceiling. How about them apps!!
Thank you, God, for helping me get my iphone back.

1 comment:

mary said...

Awesome picture and awesome story. I do think apple is generous and they should be given the price of their stuff! Too funny that last night you and I both thought today would be snow, to me that is the fun of project 365...you always keep your eyes open and spot something extraordinary!