Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 24/365 - St. Clement of Rome

Date: 1/25/11
Time: 7:52 am
Place: St. Clement of Rome Church
***
I'm not one to make a spectacle out of myself. I just don't. I don't like drawing attention to myself or standing out in any obvious way. So when I need to get my "picture of the day", this can sometimes cause a problem. The minutes before mass is not most people's "photo op" moment. So, when I took this picture, I had the camera in my lap and just pointed up. Not the best photo, but let me describe this church. This church is like one big circle with a pointed dome in the middle of the ceiling. These stained glass windows surround the upper walls of the church. They were shades of blue over the altar and then start blending shades of reds and yellows. Underneath the stained glass upper area, was windows around most sides of the church (not the altar and not the entrance areas. The windows had privacy walls behind them so you aren't looking out onto the other part of the building or the street. I thought this was so cool. I'm sure on a sunny day that these windows would bring in LOTS of light, while keeping distractions of the outside world from looking in. This is what I hope my life is like. I hope to clear enough to see light and be light, but not so clear that I receive all the other junk, too. I want walls to protect me, but not so much that I don't see the light. I don't know if this makes any sense.
I went to St. Clement today with my friend, Jill, who attends daily mass there. I've seen prettier churches, but I've never seen a church like this. It was very unique...and sometimes unique is very cool in my book! I looked up the church on the web and it was built in 1965. Here is the website http://stclementcatholicchurch.org/ if you want to see the outside shape of this interesting church.
***
God, let my soul be like glass that lets every beam of your light in, but protect me from any distractions that could lead me off course.

No comments: