Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 9/365 - This is My Oasis!


Date: 1/10/11
Time: 2:25 pm
Place: My Bedroom

This is my oasis! These words tend to get thrown around a lot in my house. I think it dates back to the time when I was watching the decorating shows on HGTV and they said your bedroom should be an "oasis". I fell in love with that idea and vowed to get rid of everything in my room that kept it from feeling "oasislike"...namely, clutter. But that wasn't all, I changed the whole bedroom, with new colors, bedspread, skirt, curtains and paint. Yes, that was when I was a stay at home mom. I put my bed on the other side of the room so that it was more "feng shui". I then added a couch and eventually a flat screen TV so I didn't have a big bulky TV in the room. Ahhhh! Finally! It was my oasis! But gradually, things have found their way into my bedroom that make it feel "non-oasisish". For example, Ted didn't like Sam playing his shoot em up video games in the family room where the kids could see it. He decided he should set it up in our bedroom. Can you imagine what that was like? It was a WARZONE in my BEDROOM. Not good. He heard a lot, "Where is my oasis??" Thank God, we got through that awful period. We got Sam to spend his own money for a TV in HIS bedroom.

Another challenge to my peaceful bedroom is the laundry as seen here in this picture. My room is my laundry folding room. And since I work three days of the week and tend to mainly do laundry when I'm off, the laundry tends to sit on this lovely couch that is supposed to be all pretty, clutter free, with matching pillows that bring in the drape colors. My room spends more time being a work in progress, than an escape.

I've learned to tolerate the clutter. I have to. It can't be clutter-free 100% of the time. So sometimes, I just tune it out. When the kids are grown and I have more time, I might be able to have my "oasis". But will I need it as much?

I've learned to live with some of this mess so I can be easier to live with.
Lord, help me to not be overwhelmed with my couchfull of laundry.

No comments: