Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 15/365 - Out With the Old?

Date: 1/16/11
Time: 7:54
Place: Ted's Parent's House

Ted's mom, Jane, turns 69 tomorrow. We celebrated tonight with cake and ice cream. We watched old home movies. We talked about how they've been in this house for 48 years. They still have a corded phone in their kitchen and the macaroni and cheese stayed warm in a crock pot that looked at least 30 years old. They really don't change things unless it's needed. I wonder how many things I change or replace just because I'm tired of it. Or maybe I saw something better and wanted it right away. I admire her ability to stick with what she has...but at the same time I seem to admire people who have the latest gadgets and are on top of trends. I guess I'm somewhere in between. Ted's parents are just happy with what they have. I think there is some very good wisdom in that way of thinking. I could probably stand to think more like that.
God, help me to be happy right here, right now, with whatever is lacking and whatever is waiting for me.

No comments: