Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Swingsets, Camping and "Footprints"

Why do I hate coming up with titles? Do I think I need to be cute? Is it hard to just say "This is just an update"? Am I just in too much of a hurry and I don't know if I'll be able to squeeze this in? Doesn't adding a title seems a little unecessary? Oh well. I'm wasting time, aren't I.

Ok...First Swingsets. If I want something done, I pretty much take my idea and run with it. Since Ted is at work all day, it's easier for me to figure out the details, what swingset will we buy?...who will build it?... do we need to dig holes and stabilize the posts in concrete?...what kind of wood do we buy?...how will we get the wood home? If it was up to Ted, he could build it and we'd have it next Spring (not that it would take him that long to build it, he just wouldn't feel the need to start it until then). I guess I'm not patient enough. So I take on the task myself. After many phone calls and internet searching I answer all the questions. We are buying a kit from Home Depot and we'll need to purchase lumber seperately. My brother will build and stain it for us this weekend. We don't need to dig posts because we secure them with fitted, 30" stakes. We need arsenic-free, pretreated lumber and Home Depot's lumber is all arsenic-free. We can buy the wood tonight and my neighbor will let us use his truck. *Whew*

I do alot of the research stuff in our family because frankly, Ted just doesn't have the time. By taking care of all these details, things go more smoothly in the evening. Plus, I just like learning. I'm an information gatherer. Kind of like the weeds in our yard. I'm driven to take of our yard myself someday. It would be very therapeutic! I'll do it all, the treating, fertilizing, seeding. What a reward it will be to see the nice green grass! I already enjoy mowing the lawn...and I'm not sure why. I guess because you get instant results. It's black and white. It's a little bit of an escape and I get to be alone with my thoughts. Some people think of these things as "man work". I just have more disposable time than Ted and I'm the one who's motivated. I see this stuff all day so it bugs me. Ted just wants to chill when he gets home. So we're both happy. This past weekend, Ted watched the kids while I mowed the lawn. It was great. (See why I don't like titles? They're too limiting and I don't stay on the topic).

Now Camping--All of this is a bit crazy right now because we are in the midst of getting ready to go camping this weekend. Ted picked up the trailer last night (while I was out) and hit a curb while being distracted by the kids. He had to head to our dealership to drop off the trailer to make sure there was no serious damage that can't wait til after our weekend to be fixed. He says the wheel looks bent. Thank God no one was hurt. So freeky and scary. Anyway, I've not lifted a finger yet to get ready for the trip because the little ones have been reaaalllly crabby/clingy and my mind has been on the details of the swingset. Oh well...I crammed for tests in college, I can cram for a weekend trip. The kids are almost angelic today so I will try to get as much done as I can. We are leaving Friday and will come back Monday.

Journaling--I got my new journaling software! It is SO easy. It took me minutes to set up and I've already made two entries. One, about Abby losing two teeth yesterday. Yes, you heard me right...TWO...in one day! They are the teeth beside her two front teeth. So I wrote a note from the Tooth Fairy saying how special she is to loose 2 teeth in one day because it is very rare except when someone falls. She loved the note and took it to school today...along with her earnings. AND Mary took 3 steps yesterday. So that was recorded to...quickly and easily...and in her own separate journal.

Complaint--Why doesn't this blog have spell check??? If it does...someone please tell me how to use it.

OK...gotta change a stinky poop.

5 comments:

Lisa Carroll said...

Hey, Missy - you know what I do a lot of times? I just skip the title part, write whatever it is that I want to write about and then title. Sometimes I know what I want to write about, but can't come up with a cute or catchy title right away. Writing my entry first helps to "get the words out" and sometimes in amongst those words are more words that I can use to give me a great title. Or, sometimes I just want to ramble and allow myself to go off on tangents. Waiting to title my entry until I'm done gives me a better chance at a better suited title to my ramblings. :) And I definitely agree... we need spell check!

I would love to get the kids a swingset - I had one as a child and it seems I NEVER got off that thing. But, unfortunately, we just don't have the space with this backyard. :( So they just play with balls or waterguns or sometimes we take them out front to ride on their scooters/bikes.

Hey! I got your e-mail! I'll have to write you back later on today. ;) Have a good one!

Lisa

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Missy said...

GREAT IDEA!!! That is so how I write. I never really know what it's going to become. I do start with an idea but I don't always know where I'll go with it. I really like your idea. Thanks. And about the swingset...we have a big flat front yard and a small backyard that ends in a small hill. We are building a small swingset with a fort and only two swings. For a while I was going to forget about the swingset because I thought we didn't have enough space (One end of the swingset will only be about 12 feet from the house)

Missy

Lisa Carroll said...

Hey, Missy - did you get my e-mail?