Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Everything in Moderation

Ok...I'm practicing moderation. I'm not very good at it naturally. I have to work at it. After lunch, I have my Famous Amos cookies and I don't count how many I'm having because I know I would be disgusted if I actually knew. If the total number of chips I ate were displayed on a plate instead of grabbed from a bag, I'm sure I would be surprised at the quantity. When I read a People magazine, it's hard for me to put it down. I have to read it cover to cover, ignoring anyone in my midst. I now have a laptop in my kitchen on a wireless network. My computer is on all day, and with a cable modem, I have constant access to the Internet. So I'm off an on all day. Could I use my time better? Probably. Am I using the phone, the computer, food as an escape? Definately! I don't think any of these things, in and of themselves, are bad. I just think I could curtail them a little more and do more "fruitful" things with my time.

Last night I went to my Women's Group (a Catholic women's praying and sharing group), and we talked about doing things that "bear fruit". If my escapes make me a better mom, than it is bearing fruit. If it makes me constantly distracted that I'm never present to my kids, than it is not. I also feel that if I start my day with a focus than I will accomplish more. I believe it's very important to give each day to God and have Him do with it as He wishes...the problem is you wouldn't know it by my actions sometimes.

Sooooo, these are things I am trying to do:

Start each day giving it to God
Read my "Magnificat" (Catholic publication of the daily mass scriptures, prayers and write ups)
Make a list of what I want to accomplish
Be more present to my children
Spend less time on the phone
Save computer time for naptime
Eat more fruits and vegetables
Eat less chips and cookies

That's the basic focus right now. I'll keep you updated as to how I'm doing. It will be an accountability of sorts. It might help me to stay focused. And then my computer time will be bearing fruit.

No comments: