Friday, August 26, 2005

My Milkshakes Bring All The Boys To The Yard

(But not Mary). I keep singing this song in my head. It's quite trashy, but a catchy tune. I don't even know I how I know it. I think it's from my days of channel flipping to VH1. If you can't figure out what "milkshakes" are...they are her ..ahem..breasts. I just think it's a funny name for them. And with icepacks stuffed in my sports bra, makes it quite an apt description. Mary, see what you're missing out on?? Nice, frosty milkshakes! How dare you refuse me and bite the breast that feeds you. (By the way, Sam, my 8 year old just read this title as "My Mistakes Bring All The Boys To The Yard"??. "What does that mean?" *chuckle*)

Annnyhoo, I looked up "nursing strike" on the Internet and they listed many reasons for a baby biting while nursing: Teething, ear infection, lack of milk, period starting, new deoderant, too much distraction, etc. Yes, Mary is teething...but she always is. She got her first tooth at 5 months. She's got 6 teeth with 2 on the way. So I don't believe it's that. And yes, she just got over a cold, but she wouldn't be sleeping well if she had an ear infection. So here's my theory: Mary has been easily distracted in the last couple of months (as is typical at this age). It's never been easy feeding her because of all the commotion in our house, but lately her feedings have been significantly shorter because of distraction (she has the same disease I have!!). Because of this, my milk supply has dropped, and since my milk supply has dropped she is losing her patience in waiting for a let down so she bites.

I would have liked to wait for a year, but this is close enough and I really don't have hard feelings about it. However, the night that I realized she had not had a real feeding in 24 hours, was the night I cried. I read on the internet that when a baby weens or starts to ween and woman can feel depressed because she isn't getting the hormone that calms her during nursing. Imagine that!! It said my body will adjust to not getting that hormone and I should be fine. I find it amazing. And I'm a little frustrated with my nurse for not telling me that. I feel like I get more info from the internet for free than from the nursing staff I pay! Ok... a little emotional leakage there. Not all nurses are bad (Theresa, you're going to be great!). But I feel better understanding what happened to me that night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(decided to blow my cover and get back to my real identity!)

You're right about the nurse. She should have known that because you were asking about a very specific situation. Unfortunately, nurses often get tied up in the everyday running of the office and lose touch of how important (and desperate) every single patient is. Listening to all of those details and working out the problem with you is where her focus needs to be. The next time you speak to her I'd let her know what you read so she will know the next time a teary mom with a biting baby calls!

Good for you for doing your own research...it paid off! I love the internet too and would love to know some of your favorite sites for medical knowledge!

When I weaned Matthew I used binding, cabbage leaves AND ice! Hang in there!

Missy said...

No...I was really speaking out of line about the nurse. Nobody knows everything. And the info I found might not be proven stuff you would find in a textbook. I just found it fascinating and I just wish they would take some time before just wanting to the increase meds thing. I think it's the easy thing for them to do. I wish I remembered her name. But if I do talk to her again...I will mention it.

I really don't have a favorite site for medical stuff. I find it everywhere! A lot of time it's question/answer message boards. I also find a lot of real answers come from experienced moms!

How did you bind yourself? Ace bandage?

Lisa Carroll said...

Hey Missy - how funny... "milkshakes". LOL Good for you on finding your own answers to your questions. My favorite thing about the internet - fast, cheap and easy to access info, 24/7. ;)

Yes, binding with an Ace bandage works. Actually, I learned about binding the hard way - after suffering for almost 10 DAYS in the utmost intense pain due to engorgement. Honestly, it was as bad as transitional labor, for me. It was absolutely horrendous. Not trying to scare you, since my other two weanings were nothing like that. But binding was really the only thing that made it better. The cabbage leaves helped a lot, but it was only a momentary-type fix. Binding was the only thing that actually provided the results.

you asked about if I had nursed my other kids? My oldest was not nursed (I was on medication during/after delivery that was not conducive to nursing), my second two nursed until 9 months of age (Isaac) and 7 months of age (Ariana). Both times, I never considered other alternatives (pumping) and just let them wean and went to formula. With Emily, we had SO so many problems with her in the beginning (her latch-on) that afterripped and bleeding nipples, several (expensive)sessions with a lactation consultant and oceans of tears (the nursing hormone you talk about is TRUE) we decided to look at other options and went with a rental pump. I was able to get my supply back up, she stayed on breastmilk and I felt better about it. But after having a couple horrible bouts with thrush, (and worrying that they only way to get it to clear up for good would be to stop pumping, since the thrush is fed by the sugars in the breastmilk) we decided to wean to formula. I was so tired of applying my cream 4 times a day, sanitizing my pumping utensils after each pumping - which was every 3 hours to keep my supply going... it just got to be too much. Then came the engorgement and I tried everything but nothing worked - couldn't get my supply to stop. Expressing just a few drops helped when I weaned my other two, but with this one, it just kept my supply going, don't know why. Maybe my breasts were just over-reved by the hospital grade pump I had been using for so long, I don't know! LOL Anyway, this is getting so long and I am so sorry! I just really want to help ANY way that I can. I would NEVER, EVER want anyone to suffer like I did. Let me know how I can help... e-mail me if you like. :)

Have a great weekend, Missy! take care!
Lisa

Lisa Carroll said...

Forgot to add that I was pumping every 3 hours to keep my supply up in order to: 1.) feed Emily AND 2.) stock up on extra breastmilk in the freezer for when I finally did decide to stop pumping. After dealing with the thrush off and on for about 6 weeks (and two 4-times-a day/ten-day courses of the Nistatin) and all that went along with that, plus the sleep deprivation and of course the other three kids to take care of - that's when I/we decided to give in. LOL But I had enough breastmilk saved up to keep her going for another 2 months. So basically, she was about 6 months old before we ended up putting her on formula. She is now 7 months old. hope that clears it up a bit - I went back and read my post and it sounded confusing! So sorry to take up so much space on your blog. More (((HUGS))) to you though!

Lisa

Missy said...

Holy Moly! You went through a LOT to keep nursing. I would have given up a long time ago. You need to tell Emily all of that when she is a teen and not appreciating you!

I don't even know how much space is on this blog...do you? And you said I could e-mail you. Where do I get your address? I'd like to ask some blog questions.

Thanks for all of your help,

Missy
(The milkshake girl...soon to be droopy shakes with no milk)