Friday, August 19, 2005

A Good Day is a Gift From God

Today was a great day. When I say this, it doesn't mean everything went perfectly. Because it didn't. But my attitude was good. Some days I feel like I'm wearing armor. All the arrows bounce right off. It's as close to Super Woman as I can feel. Ben still had his cold and was very crabby this morning...but it was OK.... I even noticed Mary doing the same breathing thing. But she's not coughing much...so it's OK. They are both sleeping and eating well so I can't ask for much more. And Mary is not running a fever like Ben did. It's like the virus lost it's sizzle by the time it got to her. Thank goodness. Three out of the four kids have gotten this bug so far. All of them in sightly different forms.

Despite all this, God gave me the focus I needed to clean the kitchen and catch up on laundry (even if it is in a huge pile on my bedroom floor). And my house is fairly straightened. Always a good feeling when the housework is somewhat caught up. Ok...I say "somewhat" because it's all relative to what each person considers caught up. We live in a 1 1/2 story so our master bedroom is on the main floor. I only go upstairs to lay the kids down for bed or get them out of bed. I kinda forget about that bathroom. Well there is a big, black ring in the toilet where the water level is. YUCK!!!! I don't even want to know what would make it black. I've seen orange from hard water...but black??? And let's just say the aim wasn't too good in there either. Blech. Sorry to gross you out like this. I better visit that bathroom more often. Ahem. Anyway...where was I? Oh yah...it was a great day.

Another thing that made it great...when I'm feeling good I want to share the wealth, ya know? So I was at my mom's when my sister was there with her three boys (11, 9, 7) and she told me she was going to the local craft festival tonight. She was going to go with her husband and all four of her kids even though she knew she would hear grumbling the whole time (this is how much she wanted to go). So I offered to take her three boys for the night. To a mom, this is the jackpot of all jackpots. Someone offering to take your kids over night. Abby invited a friend over too and we ate the $5/$5/$5 pizza deal (gotta love that!) and then Ted took the kids to swim in the neighborhood pool to 9:00pm. The kids had a blast with their cousins and friends. It's really a win-win for all of us.

It all started with the good day He gave me and it branched off from there. I know it's Him because spontaneous things from out of nowhere are often from Him. These are the ways He treats us. Like a cold drink on a hot day, He gives us a break and refreshes us. And I always want to be sure to recognize it when He gives me a good day and thank Him for it. I've always told my kids...Remember to thank the person who gives you something because then they are more likely to do it again! (It's kind of a selfish way to remember to say thanks but it's better than not saying it at all). So today, I'll enjoy my feeling of contentment. It doesn't come often or easy, but it's here today and I will enjoy it while it's here. And I will thank the One who gave it to me so He'll do it again!

2 comments:

Lisa Carroll said...

You are exactly right. And I feel the same way. Actually, I have a heart condition and out of my own paranoia, I feel like every night that I go to bed could be my last. So when I find myself waking up in the morning, no matter how yucky I feel, no matter what's going on in my life, no matter how early it is LOL, I thank God that I'm even awake at all. In hopes that he'll do it again tomorrow. ;)

I'm glad you had such a great day yesterday and I hope you have a great weekend, Sweetie. :)
Lisa

Missy said...

Thank you for sharing that with me. I'm wondering how that would feel to worry that you won't wake up the next day. You must really treasure each day. Maybe your experience will help me to be grateful for each day. Thanks again.