Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Day 39/365 - My Mother

Date: 2/9/11
Time: 12:59 pm
Place: Bread Company Parking Lot
***
Today my mom and I shared a lunch at the Bread Company. I treasure our times out together! A little known fact about me is that I've enjoyed writing poetry from time to time. It's been a while since I've written a poem, but inspired by this picture of the day, I wrote this one for my mom:
Through the years, it's plain to see
Just how your role has changed with me.
When I was born, each need you met,
You changed me, fed me, and put me to bed,
And when I got a little older,
I talked, I climbed, my steps got bolder.
You cleaned me up and kissed my hurts
You loved me through all growth spurts.
You taught me to pray and ask God for help,
It wouldn't work to do it myself.
And when a friendship broke apart,
You listened with a servant's heart.
But when I got much older still,
You found I had a stronger will.
I wouldn't listen as I should,
I fought the rules on which you stood.
But now you see those years are past.
You've built me something that will last.
With you and Dad so bonded together,
You taught me a marriage should last forever.
And when it was time to become a mom,
I had your example to copy from.
You gave me the gene to sing and write,
To cook a good meal, eat ice cream at night.
But the best thing you taught me from the start,
Was to cling to God with all my heart.
My faith in God is my guiding force,
He keeps me close to stay on course.
So if you'd ask me my greatest gift,
And why I live the way I live?
God's gift to me was like no other,
When He chose YOU to be my mother.
***
God, thank you for my mom. I know I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for her.




No comments: