Tuesday, December 06, 2005

St. Nicholas Left Us A Light Dusting This Morning


Happy St. Nicholas Day! Here's a picture of the dusting we got this morning which totally got the kids excited. To the right are my newly painted "Cinnamon Cerry" doors.

Ted woke me up at 5:30 this morning and said, "It's St. Nicholas Day". OMG!! How could I have forgotten?? Luckily, I had already figured out who was getting what in their stockings. Ted went out to the car and got the bags of presents from when I wrapped them at my Mom's (yes...they were STILL in the car!). I searched through them and pulled out the gifts. Thank God we remembered in time! Abby said something to Ted last night. I was at Women's Group all night so he forgot to tell me. We've been known to forget our duties as the Tooth Fairy. St. Nicholas day ranks about second as "most almost forgotten" duties. With the teeth, it's the most prominent thing in that child's mind. Put tooth under pillow...Tooth Fairy will come and give me MONEY!! What's going through our minds? Have kids do homework, go through back packs, have kids do their homework, make lunches for tomorrow, have kids brush their teeth, read books, say prayers, put kids in bed so we can RELAX!

Abby is the queen of remembering these things. Sam will come down and forget that his tooth was under the pillow to begin with. For Abby, however, it's the first thing she does after her eyes open in the morning. If there is no money, she comes down very depressed. We hang our heads in shame of what we forgot, then say, "Are you sure you checked really well??" We grab a dollar and head upstairs. You would think we were trained magicians the way we reach inside the pillow case saying, "OH! You didn't check the pillow case...sometimes she puts it in here." One time, Abby dictated a note to us for the Tooth Fairy that said, "Dear Tooth Fairy, You were right that I would lose a tooth very soon. Don't forget the tooth like you have before. From, Abby" Ouch. That note must have been after the magicians performance and she remembered to check her pillow case too. Our Tooth Fairy likes to leave notes. One other time we forgot, we wrote a note the next night saying something like, "Sorry I missed you last night. I was in China and Australia...there were a lot of teeth lost there. You get $2 instead of $1 because I was late."

This morning, as predicted, Abby rushed downstairs and said, "I'm going to check my stocking!!" Ted and I looked at each other with relief. Everyone was happy with their presents. It was a little hard to get them off to school.

It's hard to think of a day when we won't be the Tooth Fairy, or St. Nicholas, or Santa Clause. It kinda makes you feel like a Super Hero to have so many hats. Some day the magic of the holidays will be a little dimmer because these easily pleased kids will no longer believe in Santa and won't jump off the walls at the mere mention of a party with their cousins. They might even actually be bored. EEww. Yuck. I don't want to think about that. Right now I'll just enjoy their shrieks of excitement and joy...so I can be caught up in their euphoria...and it can spread a smile to my face too.

No comments: