Monday, December 05, 2005

Kitchen Drawers Clean!!

BEFORE


AFTER

Whew! Just looking at these pictures makes me feel better! And YOU held me accountable. I did the first drawer and in usual Missy form, I put off the second drawer and moved onto another project. I put off that second drawer until today when I knew that I had to clean it so I could post my after picture. There was so much in those drawers that just didn't belong there. I now have a place for coupons, rubberbands, scissors, note pads, and calculators. I started with containers for organizing...but somewhere along the line we got lazy. I want to stick with it this time. I found things that we need: Sam's "Progress Towards Ranks" chubbiest shirt tag, a game piece we've been missing, a Schnucks coupon for $10 off a $75 purchase. I threw away all the pencils with no erasers. I had to resist the urge to keep them because I thought I could go out and buy those eraser caps. Then, I told myself I might NEVER get around to doing that and that we always have plenty of pencils. I threw the Spiderman watch away because the new battery will never happen. Sam's getting a new watch for Christmas. It was someone else's junk given to me. Why do I always accept other people's junk?? Am I afraid of hurting their feelings? I need to be STRONG! Or be weak and take it and then get rid of it.

Either way, my clean drawers are a good motivator to keep them that way. The project I got distracted by was Abby's room. Abby has so many knick knacks that have accumulated. Stuff she never plays with. I threw out a bunch of this little stuff and organized all that she wants to keep. You see, we are in the middle of painting her room. Which, to me, is a GREAT excuse to organize her stuff. Since we had to pull everything out anyway, how could I put all that junk back in?? So I'm taking the opportunity to get it clean. In fact, I wish I did before and after pictures on Abby's closet. I bought some three drawer containers for her closet and boy has it made a difference! We had a lot of wasted vertical space in her closet. The drawers helped utilize the space so we could gain some floor space. I'm not finished, but it's already a world of a difference.

We are painting Abby's room now and all of the upstairs so we can be ready to replace the baseboards and doors which are all a cheap dark wood circa 1980. The white six panel doors and baseboards will totally brighten up her room. I'll try to find an old picture of her room so I can post before and after pictures. We need to do the whole upstairs. My sister asked me if I was crazy doing this during Christmas season. It's really not too big of a deal because I'm not hosting anyone at my house (well actually, I probably will have Theresa--visiting from Australia--over for dinner). My Christmas shopping is mostly done and presents are mostly wrapped...and it's upstairs. I don't have to stare at it. I don't know, maybe I am crazy. I just want to get it done this winter. And I know how we do things. If we never start chipping away at the big old block, it will never happen. I have to be the one to say, "OK! It's time...LET'S GO!" persistence pays off, and the end product is my reward. We've gotten a lot done on the first level and I know we can do the same on the second level. We just do it one income tax check at a time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get there and see all that you have done! I'm dying to see what you did in Abby's closet. We didn't have closet organizers built into our closets so we are in need of organization and I'm never sure what to do.
ps...I don't care what your house looks like...just can't wait to see all of you! (of course, I might have a little snoop in your kitchen drawers to see if you are using those containers!)

Missy said...

I can't wait for you to get here either!! 11 more days! I can't claim to be the poster child for closets but I do LOVE those 3 drawer storage containers! They can change what they hold as our needs change. They're really adaptable. They are saving me money until I buy another dresser for Abby and Mary's room.