Thursday, December 15, 2005

Behind the Scenes

This morning I was putting some things in the kids' "special boxes". Each kid has his/her own box and anything deemed "special" gets put in there. For example, today I put in Sam's Iowa scores, a short story he wrote, a handprint Turkey Ben made (I'm a sucker for handprints), and a school paper of Abby's where she listed her favorite things. While I was doing this, I thought of all the things I do behind the scenes for them. Sometimes they'll realize what I did for them, sometimes they don't. Sometimes it's just expected or taken for granted...like picking up toys, doing their laundry, cooking their meal, refilling the toilet paper roll, changing their sheets, buying them clothes, buying their favorite food. They don't necessarily think about what went on behind the scenes to get them what they have. They know they have nice, warm, flannel sheets on their bed for the winter, they know that there is food to eat when they are hungry, the clothes are in their drawers when they need to get dressed, and somehow...they get exactly what they wanted for Christmas.

When I think about these things that I work so hard to do, I have one of two responses. Either I feel good that I'm doing a good job and they don't have to worry, or I feel taken for granted, underappreciated. Than I thought of our Father in Heaven. He knows exactly how I feel, because He's BEEN THERE. Think about it, who is the most underappreciated being?? GOD! I thought of all the things He does for me behind the scenes that I take for granted or come to expect. I can stay at home with our children, but I often complain about their behavior, or how I can't get anything done. I moan and groan about picking up the kids from school sometimes when there is a mother who was telling me how much she appreciates her part time schedule because she can pick up her kids from school everyday. She used to work full time. I've taken it for granted! What a gift! I roll my eyes when Ben wants me to carry him downstairs...yet I have working arms! I have legs that can go down the steps! I'm not in a wheelchair. I can care for my kids. I can be a mom. I have health, I have fun...and I take it all for granted. I worry about the future, when God has it all layed out for me. He has every detail figured out.

I will NEVER fully appreciate everything God has done for me because my mind can't fathom His scope. Sometimes, however, He'll give me a glimpse...like a glimpse through a porthole. I'm awed by what I see but I'm not even close to seeing it all. I'm hoping when I get to heaven, God will show me everything. Maybe it'll be just an instant understanding...or will it be scenes played out?

I know my kids will eventually get an idea of what's been done for them when they get older and have their own families. Until then, I hope that the next time I feel taken for granted, I realize I've done the same thing to God. I hope I start thanking Him for all He's done for me "behind the scenes". All the things He's done that I don't even know about yet. Ok...I probably won't do that...but it would be nice to try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Missy! You wrote everything I've needed to hear for the last few days!

I've been having a pity party of sorts myself . . . wishing I could stay at home . . wishing I had children to stay home with . . wishing my husband had a job so we could start working on those children that I want to stay at home with! I've been feeling sorry for myself because I guess I just thought by the holidays, all these things would work themselves out and they still haven't. Ugh!

And yet, I do have a job and we are keeping up with our bills, AND I get to spend Christmas for the first time with a husband and my new family! God has blessed me again and again, and I should be supremely grateful for all that he has provided for me. And I have only been focused on the things I DON'T have!

I'm gonna go back right now and read your blog again . . .

Missy said...

Ann, Thank you so much for your feedback. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself...so knowing the message for me was also a message for you...is doubly pleasing...no...make that exponentially pleasing.

Thank you for sharing this with me. And I'll try to remember, when I'm ungrateful, that you would love to be where I am right now. (Are you sure??...Totally kidding!!!)