Monday, January 08, 2007

A Snapshot

What's at the top of my to-do list?
Since I'm having a party for my Mother-in-Law's 65th birthday/retirement party, there's a lot on the to do list:
--Continue to clean and maintain the house
--Caulk baseboards that were never caulked after installation
--Continue to wipe down doors, baseboards and walls where needed
--Buy lil smokies, avocados and wine
--Bring up folding tables and chairs

What have I accomplished?
--Since flylady ( http://www.flylady.com ) says that Windex is a great all-purpose cleaner, I've been using it to wipe down my doors, walls and baseboards. It's been working great!
--Ted (ok...it's not me, but I feel like I've accomplished something just getting him to do it!) finally installed our new closet doors upstairs and finished installing the baseboards. YIPPEEE!! This has been a project "in the works" since this summer and it is DONE!! It feels great. We still have to put new molding on the windows, but Rome wasn't built in a day.
--Planned out menu for party: meatballs in a jelly/chili sauce (thank you, Stacey!), bacon wrapped smokies, Rotel dip with sausage, cold mexican layer dip (cream cheese mixed with mushed avocados and taco seasoning, topped with picante sauce, shredded cheddar and slice black olives...it's soo good!), and a chocolate chip cheese ball with chocolate graham dipping sticks. I'll have nuts and m&m's out for munching. I hope this is enough. There are going to be 20 adults.
--I did most of my grocery shopping already except for the items on my to do list above.
--Today is Ted's first day at his new job and I'm still holding up without him!

What's bugging me?
--There's been a conflict with a Room Parent and teacher and it's been building all last semester. Wednesday I'm meeting with both of them along with the Principal. I've heard both sides of the story and I think the teacher is treating the Room Parent unfairly. I'm just looking forward to getting the meeting over with. I don't like having relational conflicts hanging. When they involve myself, I immediately make peace or resolve to get over my frustration myself. It works.
--Ben continues to poop in his underpants and then sits downstairs on our new carpeting with the messy pants. As soon as I resolve to keep him upstairs (he always does it while playing playstation) on the day he is supposed to poop, someone tells me I'm supposed to not use any negative punishment and that he will decide when he's ready. I read that before too. When will he be ready? How do I keep my carpet from getting ruined?

What's my latest obsession?
--Duh. Getting ready for the Party!
--Wondering how Ted's new job is going
--Since Ted is now with AT&T, he will get a Cingular phone (owned by AT&T). I decided to go to Cingular so we can have free mobile to mobile minutes. After deciding this, I realized my sister, Lisa has Cingular and Becky decided to make the jump with us! Wooo Hoooo...free minutes!!! For $40 dollars a month, I get 450 anytime minutes, 5000 nights and weekends, and unlimited mobile to mobile with anyone who has Cingular! I picked a new phone that has a camera and can record video. It sparked my memory that sometime I'd like to put video on my blog. I have digital video capabilities on my digital camera too. I just need to learn how to do it. I don't even know if I can. I'd love it if I could put sound bytes on it too. I've seen people do this, but I don't know if I can do it in Blogger. I might have to just put the link on my blog instead. We'll see.

What's been making me happy?
--Having a ring on my finger (yup, it still is)
--Seeing Ted all excited about his new job
--Seeing Ted excited about caulking baseboards and finishing the upstairs
--Realizing that Mary has come a long way since Ted was laid off. During that time she has gotten used to more independent play and I'm not her seat all day! This is something to truly rejoice about. Thank you, God! Today, I took a shower in peace, all by myself. Mary did not try to find me and Ted was not here to watch her. She and Ben just continued to play. Hallelujah!!
--I got a haircut Saturday. I kept the length, but got shorter layers cut in. It's so much lighter! We started talking about hair products and by the end of the cut she decided to take me to the beauty supply store for professionals only and let me pick out what I want at wholesale prices! I got Matrix Biolage shampoo, Matrix Biolage hair gel, Graham Webb Brit Style hair spray and some pommade stuff called "difi". I'm not sure how different this is from the gel, but I decided to experiment. This is all stuff she recommended and uses. I love it! I spend so little money on my hair because I'm cheap. It was fun to indulge myself a little. It all smells so good. That's important to me :-).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I love the snapshots! I need to get back into this!!

I'd love to see the hair! I had the same exact thing done to mine on Saturday - kept the length but added more layers. Feels great, huh?

Caulking baseboards? Really? With what? Why?

Okay, and Ben only poops on some days? That would be challenging. When we were potty training Em for poop, she wore a diaper in the afternoons because that is when she would poop - almost religiously every day. Then, yes, she did just do it on her own with the whole pooping on the toilet thing. Ahhhh, the joys!

Missy said...

I need to take an updated picture of myself...but it'll have to be later. You'll see me by then :-). Yes, it feels great to have some lightness and body from the layers.

When we got our basement done, we learned the "right" way to install baseboards: Nail them into the studs and then caulk the top edge with white caulk. This gives it a finished look where sometimes there are gaps between the board and the wall. Then you caulk the nail impression and then paint over it. We are working on some of this stuff on the main level now.

Ahhhh...the poop. Poop and pee. I'm sick of it. But the funny thing is...Mary peed on the toilet yesterday. We just sat her on it and she just did it. Like she knew what she was doing. Some kids make it look so easy. But then...I don't know if I want to start this just yet. I might wait a little so it goes quicker. At least I'm pretty sure she won't have a poop problem. She's a go getter!