Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Feeding a Large Crowd

I can't believe it's been a week since I have posted last. I just feel like it's been harder these days to find the time. Mary has been much more difficult lately and hardly gives me space. I'm thankful for this moment because she is off doing her own thing. The kids coming home from school has distracted her (Thank God).

Today, my dad came over so I could serve the teachers lunch for Teacher Appreciation Day since the PTO was responsible for this event. I made mashed potatoes for 45 people and it went great! Many of them wanted my recipe so I will give it here:

Garlic and Herb Mashed Potatoes
10 medium, Yukon Gold potatoes
1/2 cup of butter
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz sour cream
packet of garlic and herb seasoning (Knorr or Lipton).

It's the seasoning that gives it the extra kick and flavor. It's something I just discovered through experimentation. My potatoes are like my pizza. I like them so much, I will try different recipes and research the best ways to make them on the internet until I find my favorite!

For the teachers, I quadrupled the recipe. I peeled and cut up 15 pounds of potatoes (about 40). To make it for this large crowd I took my original recipe and made two double batches since I didn't have anything big enough to cook them in, all at one time. Each double batch fit comfortably in two separate stock pots. I boiled them, drained them and returned them to the stock pots to refrigerate. I found out from the internet, that I can make them up to two days in advance if kept refrigerated and even more advance if I wanted to freeze them! Because of the ingredients you add to the potatoes (cream cheese, sour cream...) it helps it to hold up better in the refrigerator and freezer! I was excited about this. I made one batch yesterday and the second, last night. I put one in my garage because I couldn't fit them all in my fridge and it was only 18 degrees last night (no they didn't freeze). This morning, I transferred them to two large crock pots and baked them at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. When they were done, I took them out and put them back in the crock heating element and plugged them in. It worked out great! They were kept nice and hot for serving at lunchtime. I've never made potatoes for quite this big of a group before, so I was worried about getting the quantity right and how to cook so much at one time. Separating the quadrupled recipe into two batches was the best thing to do!

Also served for the luncheon was Italian Beef on Italian bread with provolone cheese, fresh green beans, fruit salad, and pies from the local grocer. The fruit salad was apples (green and red), grapes, and mandarin oranges mixed with yogurt. YUM. I think I'll do this for Abby's First Communion! The green beans were cooked with onions and bacon. It was all so good, and luckily, we got to eat what we made afterwards.

Ted is going on retreat this weekend and he just told me yesterday that he signed up to bring dinner for Saturday night. I decided to use the beef I bought (at a great price) for Abby's First Communion, and of course....mashed potatoes!!! I LOVE mashed potatoes and it's an easy dish to make since you can make it in advance and put it in a crock pot to keep them warm or refrigerate them. I'll just have to buy beef for Abby's party later (it's not until April). Have I given you my beef recipe for the crock pot? I know some of you have it, but I'll post it again. It's an awesome way to feed a bunch of people. I've doubled and tripled the recipe for larger crowds.

"French Dip" Roast Beef
3 lb Chuck Roast
2 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp dried Rosemary
1 tsp dried Thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 bay leaf
3 or 4 whole black peppers

Combine all the ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Remove meat, shred with fork. I like to return them to the juices and serve it directly from a big, open crock pot. I often make this one in advance because it freezes so well and tastes great reheated.

Enough about recipes...I'll write more later. I gotta watch American Idol!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you love how they volunteer to bring food but somehow we end up doing it??? I will be baking bread for the guys on Thursday!

Missy said...

Yes...and the truth is...I enjoy doing it. I like to think of their satisfied faces as they eat it! How cool that you are making bread for them. They are fortunate to get homemade bread!

Anonymous said...

Missy, we just LOVE that crock pot roast recipe!! Dan is really looking forward to it, although he plans to give Ted a little wink*wink*nudge about making it himself!