Monday, January 22, 2007

Puke Diaries, Part 2

It's a fuzzy picture, but I was trying to use natural lighting. It was early in the morning when the sun wasn't out. Yes...this is victim #3 to the awful virus that is ravaging it's way through our house. Poor Sam. The boy who washes his hands constantly to protect himself from germs...the one who stays far...far away from sick people...the one who has an ultra fear of throwing up...has this lovely virus raking his body. He's been the worst so far. That trash can from my "pretty bathroom"?...it's had a LOT of activity. He vomited repeatedly all morning...even when he had nothing left to give. The poor guy. He's been a trooper, though. I can tell he is proud of his ability to handle this. He's not minding staying at home either.

The diarrhea bug hit Ben today. Our worst fear...a boy who doesn't mind pooping in his pants and sitting in it in order to play more his favorite playstation game...has diarrhea. It only took one nasty episode for me to realize SOMETHING had to change. He's wearing pull-ups. Thank God! The second episode was much neater! Mary is still on her diarrhea rampage as well. I've already realized that I absolutely can NOT take them to Parent's Day Out tomorrow. And we canceled our sitter for tomorrow night too. I will take Abby to her First Reconciliation without Ted. When it comes to illness...family comes first! Everything else takes a far back seat. Whether you want it to or not, it just has to. It's amazing how many things are really cancelable when you get right down to it. I'm still praying Abby doesn't get touched by this mean monster. She is too. You should have seen her face this morning when she found out Sam was sick too. She had a look of panic with the sudden realization that she could be the next victim! When it hits Sam, it's too close to home for her.

With Ben and Mary wrapping up the bug in each diaper change that gets thrown away, I feel like I'm on the upswing, believe it or not. Sam is easy. After the first puke, he didn't even call us upstairs to help him. He just found his way to the bathroom and voila! However, I still laid awake in my bed with worry. I didn't fall asleep after that 3:50am bombshell hit. I heard every run to the bathroom. Yuck. With Ben and Mary out of the way, I see more sleep in my future. I think sick older kids are MUCH easier than sick younger kids.

Tune in next time for more Puke Diaries! (I considered switching to the word "wretch" thinking it sounded more polite...but it means "to try to vomit". We are definitely NOT trying here)

No comments: