Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...

I just love my new mirror message!! I keep a message on my mirror and I read the message/prayer every morning. I change the message when I realize that I'm no longer looking at the message, therefore defeating the point of the message. This new message thing really works for me and my short attention/need to mix things up personality. Anyway, I want to share my new mirror note:

"Gracious God, Thank you for the gift of today. May my living reveal your goodness. Refresh me, invite me, to discover your presence in each person that I meet and each event encountered. Teach me when to speak and when to listen, when to ponder, when to share. In moments of challenge and decision, attune my heart to the whispering of your wisdom. As I undertake ordinary and unnoticed tasks, give me with simple joy."

Man, I love that. Maybe you can make it your mirror message too? I'm a very distracted person, but on things I do as a habit, I'm pretty consistent. Since I shower and brush my teeth every morning, the bathroom mirror is my perfect prayer place. I have found since I've committed to this, God has given me a new message whenever I'm in need of one. This one came from my table leader on my ACTS retreat. I'm sorry...I don't know who the author is.

A long time ago I had a message from Mother Theresa on my mirror:
"Spread love everywhere you go:
first of all in your own house.
Give love to your children, to your wife or husband, to a next door neighbor . . .
Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.
Be the living expression of God's kindness;
kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes,
kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."

I really love that one too. A lot of times all I had to ask myself was: Did I leave that person better and happier? You don't have to affect the whole world...just the people around you. It's such a simple message. "...kindness in your face....kindness in your warm greeting...". I mean, you can do that with pretty much ANYONE. I still try to live by this even though it's no longer on my bathroom mirror.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mother Teresa has always been a huge inspiration to me so I especially loved that quote from her! It is now hanging on my bathroom mirror! Thanks...you've inspired me!