Friday, August 24, 2007

The Poop Chronicles, Continued

Tomorrow it'll be a week since we got our "prescription" from the pediatrician. I would have to say it's some of the best "medicine" I've ever received. A real kick in the pants. I complained like a big baby when I realized what I would have to do, but I would have to say, it has been SO worth it!!! We achieved another successful poop in the potty chair! Last night, we were talking about how Ben was due for a poop since it had been a couple of days since his last one and he started complaining...like he knew what he needed to do, but didn't want to. Ted took over this time, because I think I was on the phone. The size of the poop is a real issue. He wants us to confirm that the poop will be small. We do this to reassure him, and then he pushes it out! I KNOW he's not letting it all out, but I'm all about practicing and having some positive baby steps. The more he realizes how easy it is, the less pain we will go through each time...because he still very scared. But he knows if holds it in, the poop will "collect" (which freaked him out when I first told him...and actually, that fear produced our very first poop on the potty chair) . Since the first poop, (Sunday 8/19) he had an accident at my sister's (Monday 8/20...which I blame on the fact that he did not have his potty chair and was scared to poop in the big toilet), which was followed by a successful poop on Tuesday 8/21 and another poop on Thursday 8/23. I feel we are well on our way to fully training him...FINALLY!!! One full year after potty training him, he is finally almost poop trained. I feel like posting a sign, "Our facility has been accident free for four days!!" I owe it all to my pediatrician and plan on writing him a full note so he can keep recommending to his patients to make the child face their fears, instead of enabling them to continue their bad habits. I'm sure his approach may not work for everyone, but it worked for me! In case you haven't noticed...I really bad at paragraph breaks because I don't know where to put them! It all belongs together to me!! Most of the time I will go back and force myself to make paragraph breaks, but this time I will keep it as-is.

Tomorrow, we plan on celebrating one week of poop training with a family trip to Chuck E Cheese's. Woo Hoo!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I had to quit counting because I was giggling and lost track, but I think you have mentined the word 'poop' in your blog more than 70 times. Very impressive! Congratulations on perservering with Ben. It is paying off.