Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Snapshot

This is a picture of my family not including my brother, Joel and his son Calvin. We moan and complain when my mom begs for a family picture every year...but in the end it's nice to capture us all in one picture and worth all the effort. Back row: Jerry (bro-in-law), Lisa and Paul, Kevin (my bro), me, Mary, Ted and Ben. Second row: Becky holding Leah, Sam, my mom and dad, Josh (bro). Front Row: Kyle and Dominic (Paul and Lisa's), Abby, Audrey and Jacob (Paul and Lisa's).

What's at the top of my to-do list?
--I just found out my father-in-law would like to hold a surprise 65th birthday party for my mother-in-law and we offered to have it at our house. In two weeks. Yikes! I'm trying not to look at my house and see all the things that need work (stained carpet, beat up baseboards, old closet doors upstairs we have yet to replace, switch plates (upstairs) that haven't been replaced to the new white, etc., etc.). This is my immediate reaction. But then I know that reality is, I see the flaws more than anyone else. We've done a lot to the house and their focus won't be on what we haven't done. Many of my mother-in-law's family have not seen the house. The first time someone sees my house is the time I'm most self-conscious. I'll make a small list of the most important stuff and then move on. Ted was going to work on the upstairs this week anyway. He only has a week and a half before he goes back to work and he decided he wanted to finish the baseboards and closet doors upstairs as well as the switch plates. I'll be fine with those things done. The stained carpet doesn't show up as much at night...and who really looks at baseboards at a party anyway?

--Ted has a poker night tomorrow night at our house. I need to grocery shop for ingredients for appetizers, and set up the basement with tables and chairs for the card games.

--I need to schedule dental appointments for Sam and Abby before they go back to school.

What have I accomplished?
--I bought 16x20 floating picture frames at Gordman's. $10 each!! What a bargain. I want to hang enlargements of scenery shots we've taken on our camping trips. I want my basement to be full of nature and not one picture of a person. I have enough pictures of family upstairs and they need a lot of updating. I'm constantly replacing them as the kids grow. I want one area to be timeless. Nature pictures never need replacing. I'm looking through all my digital shots on the computer and selecting my favorites. I'm also newly inspired to take more scenery shots. I didn't do much of them before because I don't really like them in my albums as much. I feel like people should be in my albums. Someone told me once I should have a separate album for my nature, scenery and animal shots. I've yet to do that. But with my new verve to take these pictures, I might need a separate place to put them.

--I did my after Christmas shopping and got great deals on gift items for next year! Target had all their gift items on sale 50% off. I bought a portable cooler/warmer that you can plug into your car, two disc shooters, and some thermoses...all for thirty dollars. I bought 4 packs of Christmas socks for the young girls in our family (each had four pair) for $3 each! I also got Christmas earrings, a sweater, a present tie on for 50 cents that looks like an ornament and a Kids Bop Christmas CD for $5. Claire's at the mall had 75% off all their gift items. I bought a pair of red slippers with a big white snowflake on the tops for Abby (it came with a decorative eye cover to block out light) for $4.50! I also got a couple of frilly picture albums for Abby's friends across the street. We'll copy picture of the kids together and give it them next year. I love doing this stuff in advance! I vow to buy my gift cards for babysitters and other teens early instead of waiting til November. Why not get them in June?? I like spreading out the cost of Christmas.

I also got Christmas cards and wrapping paper ready to go for next year too.

--Ted and I went shopping today and got him a couple of new suits for his new job. He has to dress professionally on all of his sales calls. Yuck. He doesn't seem to mind, which is good. We got about 5 shirts and 5 ties. It was fun!

What's bugging me?
--At this moment? Nothing. Let's treasure it, huh?

What's my latest obsession?
--Still enjoying the bread machine. I made rolls again when my sister's family came over on the 23rd. We had them with spaghetti. They loved them! I love my...I mean...my parent's bread machine. I ran out of yeast so I didn't make anything for a little bit there, but then I got two big jars on sale! I'm set for a while now!

--Finding pictures for downstairs to enlarge

What's been making me happy?
--I love having Ted at home. I'm really going to miss him when he goes back to work. It's made the holidays so much easier. I could run to the store whenever I needed to. I can take a shower whenever I want with no children joining me.

--I went to the mall with my mom and the kids and it was much easier than the last time I went. Mary didn't try to leave the play area and they didn't complain whenever we entered stores like they did before. We could stand in one place looking at clothes without a protest. I couldn't believe it. Is this what you have in store for me, God? If so, I think I've seen a piece of Heaven.

--I'm excited about Ted's new job. I can't wait for him to start and I will totally grill him every day wanting to know everything about it. I'm weird like that. Ted and I talk work all the time. I find it interesting and it's a life I never see. I just hear about it.

--I love having my new ring! I downplayed not having it for a long time until I started really missing one. I can't explain what it is...or how it feels. It just makes me happy just wearing it.

--My sister, Becky, watched the kids today while Ted and I shopped all day and ate out. It was so relaxing and enjoyable. She wants to do this once a month since I am watching her baby once a week while she works.

--My sister, Lisa, and her family made a spontaneous visit the night before Christmas eve. Neither of us had plans so they came over for dinner and hung out with us. I love having my family over. The kids run off and play together while we hang out and talk with a drink. My love language is "quality time" and this hits it on the button. I'm recharged by nights like this. It's what the holidays are all about.

--My brother, Josh, LOVED his album I put together for him! He cried. Giving is so much better than receiving!

--I'm looking forward to some social events coming up: Game night with our Men's and Women's groups, all day crop on the 30th, going to our neighbors on New Year's Eve, and a Trivia night with my grade school friends on January 6th. It's what the Christmas Season is all about, isn't it?

No comments: