Monday, December 11, 2006

Bits and Pieces

Job Search--Good news on the job search. Ted called back the guys who most recently interviewed him from AT&T. Technically, Ted interviewed for a totally different job, but at the end of the interview, one of the guys told him about a job they had that they were still working out, but would be a management position which would oversee that sales force to apartment complexes as well as the sales positions which would negotiate contracts with the apartment complex owners. This position is very similar to the one Ted had at the previous cable company, except this one, at this time, mainly focuses on long distance and internet...eventually cable will be a part of the package. So anyway, he called back and the Director said they are VERY interested in him for this newly created job! He said "VERY interested" a couple of times in the conversation! Ted asked when he would find out more about the job (pay, etc). He said definitely by the end of the week. They were still figuring out structure and who would report to whom. Right now, all of these people (10?) are reporting to the director. We are really excited...cautiously, of course. In management positions you can count on a higher base pay balanced by a lower "at risk" amount... or "commission", so you don't have these volatile pay checks that are hard to budget on.

Mary's Portraits--I took Mary to get her two year old portraits taken. Am I always going to look on these milestones with a mixture of happiness and dread? My baby is two...and has been for about 6 weeks now...but the pictures solidified the deal! *sigh*. On Sears.com they show you all of your sessions on one page, so you have to look at your child growing up right before your eyes. I'm a happier person now that she is getting older, but at the same time I have my finger hovering over the "slow motion" button getting ready to let the good stuff last longer. I love the 3-5 age and I know that Ben and Mary are going to grow up all too fast for me.

REAP Benefit concert-- My brother-in-law is the coordinator of a retreat ministry for youth in the St. Louis Catholic Archdiocese. He oversees a large group of volunteers, young and old to do primarily confirmation retreats, but he does about everything else (First Communion retreats, high school retreats, retreats for convents, teachers, etc.). Anyway, he and his assistant organized a benefit concert for the REAP team. They rented out a local highschool theater and showcased a young Catholic talent named Adam Bitter. The seats were filled with highschoolers that I pray will be my kids someday. You could tell they were many Life Teen youth groups in the crowd and also some families. We brought Sam and Abby and got a babysitter for Ben and Mary. I'm so glad we went because my kids got to see a whole different side of their faith! Young people were clapping, singing along and some were raising their hands in the spirit of the loud, Christian music playing before them. It was very cool. During a break, there was a witness by a REAP team member that was a midget. It was such a powerful witness on God's love and her doubt of it when she was younger when people made fun of her. She was inspired by a REAP retreat that she went on and her life began to change. A year later, she felt like God was calling her to serve on the REAP team and now she is a very powerful witnesser to God's love! And my kids got to hear her talk! Most of the stuff Ted and I go to, we don't take the kids: Men's group, Women's group and other faith events, so they don't see a whole side of who we are. They got a glimpse the other night. Would you believe my kids were raising their hands during one song?? I know they don't know what they were really doing, they just were following others...but it was a pure delight for me and Ted. They sat with their cousins and we sat at an upper level behind them. I wonder if that's a little of how God feels when He sees us making progress on earth. Delight. I hope so. Here is the website for the REAM team...check it out!! http://www.reapteam.org/

Sam is Crying--A weird topic, I know. But he is crying in bed right now. He's upset because I took all electronic and gaming privileges away for two days because he got his name on the board. It's not the only time. He has a problem of talking in class. He always tells me that so 'n so said something to him first and he was responding. Hmmmm. One thing I don't like is the teacher's method of putting the names on board. She says, "If you were talking, come put your name on the board". I don't like that. It's like punishing the honest kids because Sam is always honest. Obviously he should be punished for talking...but SHE should have the guts to put his name on the board, not make Sam do it. He'll survive. Now he's whaling. I remember crying into my pillow. I just knew I was worst off child in the world and everyone else had it better. I can't be his best friend all the time and make it go away. Sometimes I think you have to let them feel the pain. After all, he's gotten his name on the board (or he PUT his name on the board) about 3 times in the last 3 weeks. Not good.

No comments: