Thursday, November 02, 2006

Happy Birthday and Happy Halloween


If you only saw my first picture (the one with all four), you might assume we are glorious in our perfection. I chuckle at the thought. I can't say things went all that bad. I just happen to know that Ben couldn't wait to get out of that french fry costume. We must have tried three costumes on the boy...but he's a child of habit and familiarity...and wearing big, bulky costumes is not his habit and is not familar. I tried everything..."Ben, you have to wear a costume to get candy"...."You can't go trick or treating unless you wear a costume". It was like it fell on deaf ears..."Mom, can I come with you". Ted said, "Just let him go as he is"..."As he is???? You can't do that! The whole reason you GET the candy is because you are in costume!". I eventually came up with the sign idea. It made me feel better. I could say, "See? I tried!". On his back was a sign that said, "Stubborn 3 Year Old".

The kids loved his signs. They wanted to show them to every home owner. They were sad when we had to drop off Ben and Mary at home because they were done. It's fun to share a joke with your kids. In a way, they are our cohearts. They know how we struggle sometimes with Ben and Mary. They see everything...sometimes they're with us on the ride of frustration. I'm constantly reminded that we are being watched and I need to set a good example. One of those examples is how we deal with Ben and Mary during trying times. I love humor. It makes everything better. It's funny, because Mary LOVED her costume. She even wore it the next day!

A couple of days before Halloween, we celebrated Mary's 2nd birthday with our families. The kids all dressed in costumes and all of the adults brought a bag of candy to distribute among the kids. It was really fun. I had chili, chicken chili, and the fixins to make chili dogs, chili nachos, etc. Mary sang along to Happy Birthday and blew out her own candle for the first time. She got lots of Dora presents and a grocery cart with fake food.

No comments: