Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Trying On Some New Clothes

Every now and then, don't you like to try a new look? I really was never into that hot pink look, but I didn't have to look at it as much as you do. When I type, my screen looks different and I'm not actually viewing my blog. Blogger has some new templates I thought I would try on for size. It might change a little as I go, but this is it for now. I rarely have time to play with these things so I don't have cool features like other people do. I wish I could play with it more. Some day I will. I guess. I'm really just into the functionality of the whole thing. I like to be able to express myself.

We kinda had a bummer day yesterday. Ted learned yesterday, that signing that "non-complete clause" is really going to put a thorn in our sides. He talked to a lawyer and found out it is a binding contract that holds up in court. So let me get this straight...you take away my husband's job before the holidays and then you are going to tell him that he can't go into the field that is our livelihood?? Is this fair? He had to sign it in order to get our severance. We needed that! So we were bummed. The one job he really wants is a big corporation who is expanding into Ted's old company's field. He's had two interviews with a smaller company and they seem to like Ted. We aren't really interested, but he's trying to keep all doors open. Anyway, he has a good rapport with this guy at the smaller company and the guy asked him to sign a note that says he is not under a non compete clause. Ted told him he was under a non compete clause. At first the guy said to not worry about it and they'll proceed with interviewing until things get serious and then they'll discuss it some more. Well, we found out today that he would not be hired unless he signed that note. So basically, Ted would have to lie so the company can cover their own butts. Ted asked the guy what they do as a company when their ex-employees go to competitors. He said they don't do anything unless they notice the ex-employers are soliciting their customers. Then they give them a warning...and probably pursue it further after that.

So this gets a little harry. It's almost like we have no choice but to go into a separate field or go back to his old employer. If he did go back, he would continue looking...but still...we feel backed into a corner and it was THEM that put US in this situation! So why would we go back? For several reasons, 1) a paycheck! 2) familiarity--knows the company and product well 3) sales and not management--more secure...less likely to be laid off again 4) would be able to keep tenure and vacation 5) His would-be boss is his friend 6) If his old employer is working so hard on streamlining...might it be a more stable company? 7) Ted liked working there

Through out all of this, we feel very firmly that God is leading us every step of the way...not in a showy "aren't we such good Christians? way", but in a matter of fact "this is just what we believe in the core of our beings" way. It feels good to know that we aren't on our own in all of this. We don't have to figure it all out for ourselves. God has it figured out and we just have to hope we don't get in His way. That's why we don't shut doors. Something that might seem ridiculous in our mind to pursue, just might be exactly what God has in mind. For example, for some reason we keep getting leads and information on the Pharmaceutical Sales field. Ted has no experience in that arena and it doesn't seem like a normal fit for Ted, but we're getting an awful lot of help and information from people in the field. Because the "door" on competitors seems to be shutting because of this non-compete clause, it's opening the door on the Pharmaceutical Sales arena. So far, this is what we're looking at:

1) Go back to old cable employer and work for friend
2) Work for competition...but in constant fear that you are doing something bad and you could get in trouble. Feel like it's unethically correct?
3) Go into different field (Pharmaceutical Sales?) Could always come back to cable industry after one year expires (when non-compete is no longer in effect)

There is one problem with #1. Man, this is complicated. His friend that would be his boss is really wanting Ted to work as a contractor for a new company he wants to start. He's come into a lot of many from inheriting his dad's business and wants to start his own company while working for his current company. HUH?? Talk about conflict of interest! No way! This would be like Ted doing #2, but in my eyes, worse. I spoke up, of course, and Ted listened. I think he sees the same pitfalls I do. We hope his friend/boss won't slow down #1 so the friend/boss can pursue his own dreams of his new business that heavily involves Ted selling for him. This just makes me want to go for #3. Are you confused yet?? I am. Ted is meeting Sunday night with the friend/boss about this new company venture thing. He's drawn up a business plan and is really serious. Great. I'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the new look!