Thursday, August 31, 2006

Last Day of Summer, First Day of School


It's always a time for reflection when your kids go back to school. You wonder where the summer went. You wonder where the years went, that they are now as big as they are. As each year passes, I think that they are mostly the same without much change. But if I were to really sit and think about all that has changed in such a short time period, it blows my mind. It's easy to mark the passing time of toddlers. They are doing new things all the time. Huge changes are made every month. But in the school years, it all seems to gradual.

What really puts the changes into perspective is looking at old albums and videos of the kids. Last night we watched old videos. One was when Mary was born and the other was when Ben was born. My focus as I took the pictures was, of course, on the babies. Sam and Abby kept popping into the pictures as if to say, "Look at me!!". I kept moving away so I could focus on the new baby. But as I watched this time, my focus was on them... their toothless grins, the excitement in their faces...their buoyant personalities. I can replay the video, but I can't replay life. Sometimes I wish I could. They seem so old now...and big! Sam is up to my shoulders! But they were once my little toddlers...like Ben and Mary are now.

Today, we had a guy from A.G. Edwards over. We're planning for the kids highschool expenses. Yes. You heard me right. Highschool. We want to invest in a savings plan called "Coverdell". It's the only one you can use for private highschool. The other ones are only higher education...college. I need to worry about highschool first! We don't plan on footing the bill for college. We just can't. I paid for my own college and so did my sister. I took out a loan. Anyway, the point is, in 5 years, Sam will be going to highschool. Abby will follow 2 years later. And actually, I paid for my Senior year at a private highschool. If I was going to school these days...it wouldn't even be possible. I wish these schools didn't have to increase at such an exponential rate. But that's getting off the point. In 5 years, Sam will be in highschool. I know that time will be here before we know it. We will not have his whole education saved by then, but that's OK. Whatever we do have will help. Coverdell allows you to put in $2000 per child, per year. You can withdraw for school expense tax free. No taxes on the growth. I think it's a good deal. In fact, it's the only one...so it'll have to do. Five years is not that far away, because the last five have gone awfully fast.

No comments: