Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Motherhood vs. Career

Today was a really great day. I got some PTO stuff done, and was praised by the Secretary and Principal for the form I sent to them and the timely manner they got it. My neighbor called and we decided to go to the pool after Mary's nap. We went to the pool and stayed there much longer than we thought we would. Ted got home early from work and called me on my cell. He realized I was at the pool and we decided he could bring us dinner. He got Taco Bell and brought it up and we ate poolside. Then, my sister, Lisa, calls. She wants to know if she and the kids can meet us to swim. All the kids played great together. Mary and Ben were so good at the pool, we didn't make any move to leave until 8pm. Ted took them home, put them to bed and we followed when the pool closed, at 9pm. Lisa came over with the kids afterwards and we had popcorn and the kids played on the computers (I told you!). I mean, what a great day! When it rains, it pours. I was so happy to be out and among the people! It was so nice to have two content toddlers playing independently in the pool. Thank you, God.

It gives me a glimpse of what next summer will be like. And that PTO stuff...it's been so long since I've done "business-like" stuff for an organization. I remember those kudos and how nice the affirmations were. But I also remember the crabby, insecure people. The people who complained and nothing seemed like enough for them. I remember how hard it was to make everyone happy. I remember them getting used to me doing a good job and they soon just expected it of me and no real kudos came anymore. I remember working late when I was supposed to be "part-time". I remember them loading more on me because I was so efficient. It was a great company and overall they treated me well....but...no one kissed me when they saw me in the morning. They didn't let me come in my pajamas. They didn't let me talk on the phone for social conversations. I couldn't really do my work at my own pace. And they would never let me go to the pool. Yes, I could bring back Taco Bell and I could actually sit down and focus on a task. And yes....they paid me. But I'll gladly do this motherhood thing for free, because I get paid in so many other ways that cash can't give you. And I have "profit sharing". All this stuff I'm doing now is totally going to "pay off" in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy, i'm Annie from Kenya - recently married (8 months) and really torn between getting a baby or waiting till i'm done with my masters which starts in Sep 2009...it's good to read that being a mother is that rewarding. i wonder if i'll later regret staying home over working...only time will tell. thanks though for you interesting and enjoyale article.