Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Busy, Busy, Busy

I'm finally getting a chance to blog. We just went through a little craziness around here. Last Wednesday there was a big storm that zapped the electricity of 500,000 households in the neighboring areas around us. Another storm came through on Friday and affected 200,000 more people (this one mainly affected our area). In our town, most of the wiring is underground so any electrical outage is rare or shortlived. However, the areas that were affected by the first storm had their electricity out for days!! Ted's parents and brother's family were without power. They spent Wednesday night at home and then his parent's decided they would spend Thursday night at our house. By Friday, we had Ted's brother's family of 5 join his parents at our house and we would spend the whole weekend with them. Whew! It wasn't too bad. In fact, it was kinda fun! We have no dining room furniture so we set up a TV and air mattress in the dining room for his kids. My brother and sister-in-law slept on the couches. Ted's parents slept on Sam and Abby's beds and Sam and Abby slept on sleeping bags in our room. I was wishing our basement was finished, but I didn't feel cramped. They all left on Sunday, when there power returned. From there, we had my sister, Becky's baby shower at my mom's house. Both my mom's house and our house were not affected by the storm. Thank goodness!

Even though we had company this weekend, we still did everything we had planned. (Was that rude?). We went on our date night Friday night and had free babysitting! Saturday, Ted painted all of our closet doors. On Sunday, he painted the baseboards. This weekend, he will start cutting and installing the baseboards upstairs. I can't believe this is happening so easily just because we scheduled it! What a concept. Now I'm filling my time with dreaming up organizational ideas for my basement toy closet. Last night I shopped at Target and bought 2 - 9 cube units. They're on sale for $40 (regularly $50). I'm going to put them in our sliding door toy closet and put shelving above it for the bigger items. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'll take pictures and post them.

Now I'm dreaming up the same stackable system for the hall to our master bathroom. It's just a hodgepodge look right now and it just feels cluttery and overwhelming in the narrow hall to my bathroom. I want to use this system to bring some calm to order to the chaos. I'll take a picture and post the before and afters. We won't be doing this right away because we already have too many projects in the air. But it's something easy enough for me to assemble and all you need is a phillips screwdriver. I already assembled a shoe cubby unit and put it in my closet and my closet looks so much better just by doing that simple task!

Today I cleaned out all the toys hidden behind the love seat in my family room. I'm going to bring them all downstairs. I also have toys hidden in a large lidded basket, my coffee table and entertainment center! I want to move these all downstairs and then rotate certain toys to keep upstairs. I'm going to reclaim all my storage in my family room! I don't know what to do with it now! It feels so rejuvenating!

As for the basement, our workers took two and a half weeks off. Our contractor had to do another project while the people were out of town...then he went on vacation. He will resume this Monday. He needs to finish mudding and taping so we can paint! The final touch will be installing the doors and the baseboards...I can't wait! Oh yah...then we need to do carpeting before we move everything back in. I think the workers will be done by August 10th. It'll take 3 weeks for the carpet from the point of ordering and measuring to the installing. I'm hoping that we can have the carpet installed by the end of August. Then I'll have a couple of weeks to get the basement in order before Abby's birthday on September 22nd.

No comments: