Monday, July 10, 2006

Old Blog Day

Yes. I actually have old blogs! Ok they're not quite a year old. But I thought I would dust them off occasionally and post them when I don't have time to write. This one I wrote 9/21/05. It's titled "Things About Me"

Some of these things are things my close friends know, they're all probably things my husband and sister know, but most of these things many people don't know:
--3 weeks after getting my driver's license, I ran into a car while looking for the house of a boy I had a crush on. I hit my face on the steering wheel, bit my tongue, and totaled our family van. I got 12 stitches.
--I married that boy 7 years later.
--I play guitar.
--I'm the third child in a family of 6 kids.
--My husband and I both have an adopted sibling.
--I used to be deathly afraid of speaking in front of people. My heart would race and my voice would quiver. I overcame the fear when I started volunteering on youth retreats and giving talks.
--My mom had seizures while I was growing up. When I was in college they discovered and removed a benign brain tumor. She's fine today.
--In college, a friend pierced my ear with his earring in a bar. It was dumb...but, you know...it was college.
--I avoid things like 12 hour sales because I hate competitive shopping. I'd rather shop on Ebay.
--I don't like long lines. There are not many things I will wait in a long line for. It feels like a waste of time. I will do stuff at odd times to avoid lines.
--I was the Senior Class Homecoming Maid for my high school.
--I love baby feet.
--If I could have only one make up item...it would be mascara.
--I am fascinated by Amy Grant.
--I've never tried drugs or pot (unless you consider alcohol a drug).
--I used cloth diapers on my first child.
--I played soccer in highschool and as a "club" sport in college.
--My jobs have been: McDonald's restaurant, Mexican restaurant hostess, day camp counselor, front desk attendant at my college dorm, usher at my college arena, Target floor sales, catalog company-- order taker, customer service rep, supervisor, assistant manager and manager.
--I got asked not to come back to my front desk attendant job because I gave the key to a drunk guy (who lived in the dorm)... to his girlfriend's room (he told me she wanted it!)
--I'm happiest when I have some freedom to act on my spontaneity.
--What I like about myself: I can talk to ANYONE!
--Least favorite trait: Poor sense of direction. Oh yah...I'm terrible with names.
--I was voted "Most Friendly" in my Senior class.
--I love to sing. I sang in a choir in highschool and college. I've sung in a couple weddings, but don't consider myself to be a soloist. I do miss choir singing. I hope to do it again some day.
--I was very shy as a youngster.
--I'm very open and honest.
--I love to watch people. If I had super powers, I would turn myself into a fly and would just watch people. I'd love to watch my kids at school, or Ben at Mom's Day Out, or fly inside famous people's houses.
--The thing I most disliked about my 20's--was how self conscious I was.
--The thing I love about my 30's--is not sweating the small stuff.
--When I was younger, I dreamed of having bigger breasts. Now I don't care.
--My mom would call me insightful and sensitive.
--I like writing poetry. I will share some one of these days.
--I'm so practical, I used to have a tough time buying knick knacks for the house. I could only do picture frames. Gradually, I branched into candles for decorating. Recently, when the power went out, Sam proclaimed, "I never knew we had so many candles!!!"
--I'm very frugal. I have a tough time spending a lot of money on clothes, purses, and shoes.
--When it comes to date nights, I'm not as frugal. I enjoy getting a babysitter and eating out.
--I shop at Target, Kohl's, TJMaxx, and Marshalls. But I don't shop very often.
--I've recently (within the past 3 years) discovered the joy of home improvement.
--I've flown in a hot air balloon. It was AWESOME!!
--I love a good book and a good movie, but I don't have time for either of them right now.
--I hate spending more than $2.00 on cards when it's something that someone else wrote and most people throw them away!
--I'd be a horrible monk. I'm too distracted in prayer. I can't focus on one thing for a long time unless it's a project.
--I love Disney World.
--Unbalanced things bug me. Ted planted some bushes in the front and they are not evenly spaced and it drives me crazy!!
--The angriest I felt I as a child was when my little brother threw all of my baby gerbils into a plastic helmet and the cut them on the plastic edge. They died.
--The meanest thing I did as a child was with this young girl who was cute and got lots of attention. She told me she wasn't allergic to poison ivy so to test this, I took a poison ivy leaf and rubbed it all over her face. Her mom found out about it and this girl became more perfect as the victim and I felt horrible (I don't think she ever broke out in a rash so either she wasn't allergic to poison ivy or it wasn't a poison ivy leaf to begin with).
--I dream about... spiders, losing things in bed, not being ready for a soccer game, missing my stage cue (haven't had that one in a while), and forgetting that I was supposed to be going to class and realizing I've missed half of them. Can someone analyze this?
--I enjoy expressing myself, verbally or in writing.
--I find humor in a lot of things.
--As a child I was embarrassed because my Dad sang too loud in church and everyone would turn around to see who was singing so loud. I wanted to crawl under the pew.
--I don't leave the house without... my makeup on.
--I can have great ideas, but not always follow through with them.
--I liked math in school and disliked political science and history.
--I've always wanted 4 kids, because I thought pairs were better than an odd numbers, and more was better than less.
--I like reading People Magazine.
--I like being around people who are comfortable with themselves. Self conscious people make me feel self conscious.
--Today is my daughter, Abby's birthday. She is 7.
--I enjoy taking pictures and capturing a moment. I like action shots over posed.
--Sometimes I can go on and on, when I really need to stop! Like now!

No comments: