Monday, May 01, 2006

Wasted Money and Money Well Spent


I hate the idea of wasting money. I grew up in a house of six kids and a blue collar working dad with a stay at home mom. We knew never to leave the door open while the air conditioner was on and NO in and out! Don't leave the fridge open while you are deciding what to eat...decide what you will eat before you open the fridge. Eat everything off your plate and let nothing go to waste. I could go on, but you get my drift.

I would say that I have adopted most of that mentality for myself. It affects a lot of my money making decisions. I hate buying winter coats because they are only used for a season. I get them used or I buy them way too big so it takes my kids like three years to grow into them. I used to avoid crop pants because I thought there was such a short window of time that they are appropriate (Wrong! Now I love them!). It was difficult for me to buy maternity clothes because I knew they would only be worn when I was pregnant. I can't spend a lot of money on a vacation because I see it as money gone with nothing but memories to show for it (I can't imagine paying for airfare for a whole family and hotel room and food! gasp!). I don't totally take it to the extreme. I feel like we enjoy more trips as a family because we bought our trailer. I love spending money on updating and decorating our house...but I won't change my mind two months later because I'm sick of it. That would be too costly. It was difficult for me to buy a story and a half because you have two rooms that aren't used often, the main one being the dining room (Wasted space!). I still haven't bought Dining Room furniture, but I plan to.

Since this is my thinking, I can spot waste pretty easily. There is waste sitting on a storage shelf in my bedroom. It represents all the wasted money on underutilized Christmas gifts every year. It is Abby's sewing machine. It got relegated to the top shelf when after the first time we used it, it got all in knots and we couldn't undo it and the bobbin wouldn't go back in correctly. I was so frustrated about the $50 I spent and the wasted time on getting it back in working order, that I tossed it onto the shelf. I cringe whenever I see it. $50. For nothing. When I bought it I pictured us spending loads of mother/daughter time on purses, pillows, blankets, etc. Instead we were frustrated, tired and mad at the darn machine (I know "frustrated" and "mad" are similar but I couldn't think of another word). I ordered it online, so it would be a pain to return it. I insist on getting it figured it out eventually, but I know that will never happen. Why didn't I just let her use my machine? Why did I buy her her own?

What other presents have I wasted my money on? I'll include the presents that I bought using my parents and in-laws money because I shop for them (because I know what the kids want and will actually use... ha ha ha).

--The electronic Battleship game for Sam--It has all kinds of cool effects, but it takes too long to set them up so we play it like the old fashioned one, without all the sound effects. I spent about $50 of my in-laws money for that sucker.

--The hot pink in-line roller skates for Abby--Of course I bought a cheap pair, but they are hardly ever used!

--The Little People series for Ben--We have a town with a circle street with all kinds of add-on houses. The street is so big, I can't keep it set up... but it's a pain to keep setting it up when you want to play with it, so I keep it in Ben's room where it never gets played. We also have a Noah's ark. I guess it got some play-time, but no one plays with it now.

--The Knifty Knitter for Abby--I used it more than she did.

--The many tricycles in every size for every age group--I don't know what I was thinking. I over-bought on tricycles. We keep them in the dark, scary basement where they never get ridden.

These are the recent ones. If I go back some years I could list more: The magicians set, Lite-Brite, Easy Bake Oven, etc.

What have been my tried and true favorites (in no particular order)that were used to death?

--Thomas Trains--Worth the investment. LOVE THEM.

--Legos--They never get old.

--Hotwheels cars--At $1 each you can't go wrong and boys LOVE THEM.

--Crayons, Markers and Paper--They get used all the time.

--Play-doh--I love play-doh. Sam and Abby spent hours upon hours playing with their play-doh when they were younger.

--Water color paint set--My kids loved these! We went through many!

--Barbies--Abby's done with these, but you could get them so cheap and they got played with over and over.

--Balls--Every shape and size. Kids love them and they NEVER get old.

--Basketball hoops--From the backyard expensive one to the Nerf over the door hoop. Boys love 'em!

--Our swingset--The best investment we made for the kids. They have a place to hang-out when they are outside with their friends. Fun for all ages.

--Plastic Golf Clubs--OMG. These were used over and over. Not the cheap ones...they break. I like the ones with the all in one club (yellow) and the blue carrier. Can't remember if it's Fisher Price or Little Tikes, but they are the best.

--Books and Puzzles-- They are just staples.

--Dress up clothes--With the shoes, necklaces and hats...they get used all the time.

--Play Kitchen Set--Big hit.

--Tinker Toys--You wouldn't believe how much they like these. I don't get the thrill, but I bought a double batch and that was a good thing!

--Used Digital cameras--These were the most popular presents last year. Everyone was jealous of my kids. I spent around $50 each for a good quality cameras on Ebay. My kids love them and bring them to field trips and family get togethers.

--Game Boy and Playstation 2--As much as people don't like their kids playing too much of this stuff...they've only been a positive experience for me. You just have to have guidelines. I've always bought used games and totally get my money's worth.

--Wooden Doll House--Bought it at Sam's and it doubles as a bookcase. It's so cute, I leave it up even though Abby doesn't play with it anymore.

--The computer--I can't tell you how much this has entertained my kids. They go on free websites to play games. They play educational games too. It's great training for the use of the computer in the future.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I need to make dinner. If I was a grandparent or new parent, these are the kind of toys I recommend having.

No comments: