Tuesday, May 02, 2006

If Life Were Like My Moxi Box

Today a show came on that I knew my kids would like, so I hit the "Record" button on my Moxi box controller. OK, you've all heard me extol praises on my Moxi box before. You know, it's that "TIVO" type thing that lets you record live TV? Anyway, it struck me how nice it would be if life were like my Moxi box. There are so many times when I experience a wonderful moment...if only I could hit "Record" and replay it later as many times as I want! I can never get my camera in time, or sometimes my video camera has a dead battery. Imagine just being able to press a button and record life in it's full picture! A camera only records a still picture, a video camera captures what it can see, but what if you could really relive something because you recorded it!

Just as nice as recording the good stuff...what about fast forward? Wouldn't that be cool to fast forward all the stuff you don't want to have to go through but you know you have to? Like when I notice a child is at the beginning of a long illness...fast forward. Or when I have a sleepless night...fast forward. Dealing with a crabby child...fast forward. A long drive in the car with impatient kids...fast forward.

Sometimes in life, the pain has already been inflicted before you can hit fast forward. Don't you worry, with Moxi, everything is on a schedule and preprogrammed! You know when it's coming! No more missing the good stuff or not knowing when the bad stuff is coming because it's already scheduled! The schedule might read: Ben does something very cute with Mary at 12pm (set up to record!). Ben will be very needy between 8am and 9am (Don't try to get anything done or you'll just be frustrated and disappointed). Ben and Mary will play very nicely between 10:00 am and 11:30am (schedule cropping or blogging!). I could be so much more efficient if I knew what was coming my way.

Say that something bad happened to you and left you with bitter feelings or anger. DELETE it!! What if you have a crazy weekend and you can't do all the things you have committed to? Hit "Pause" on one of the activities and experience it later!! Have a child who is trying to get your attention in the midst of chaos? Pause him/her and replay when you have more time. Did you just miss something that happened because you weren't paying attention? Pause and rewind. What did she say? Rewind.

I know...I'm getting a little too carried away with this. I know in all reality that it wouldn't be a good thing. If you don't experience the bad and only felt the good stuff, would you really appreciate the good anymore? If you could always pause and replay things on a whim, would you really try to fully live it the first time? I get a rush of emotions when I "catch" my kids doing cute stuff. I don't know if I would feel that way if I knew it was recorded and not preciously playing out only once. Despite the pitfalls, it was fun to dream a little. Thanks for dreaming with me :-).

No comments: