Thursday, January 19, 2006

I Want to go See Oprah!!!

My friends and I have decided we want to see Oprah before she retires. Apparently, this is not an easy task. I researched it a little. From what I understand, you have to call and call and call...AND...IF you even get through, there is rarely a seat available. How depressing. Well, I don't think I'm persistent enough, nor do I have enough time, to make all the phone calls. So, in researching information, I found out the best way to get on the show. On her website she has all these questions...Have you let yourself go? Do you have a really ugly room in your house? Have you made a mistake that changed your life forever? Has Faith Hill and Tim McGraw had a positive influence on your marriage? Have you lost your sex drive? etc, etc. Well...I'm pretty honest so I could never lie or exaggerate my life in order to get on the show. But I've heard if you even respond to these questions, they might put you in the audience. Like if they want a bunch of Faith Hill fans they'll put people in the audience who responded to the question, or they'll show parts of your e-mail. I really DON'T want to be ON the show. I just want to GO. But if this gives me better chances, I'll try. The question I could actually reply to, was: "Have you done something crazy for love?" So I responded with this e-mail:


When I was 16 years old I worked at McDonald's restaurant and had a crush on a guy at work. I didn't know him very well because our interchange was limited to, "I need a six piece please!" and "No more Big Macs in the bin!". One day I had the bright idea to drive by his house. I just wanted to see where he lived. I looked up his name in the phone book. One problem...he was only 17 and still living at home and I didn't know his Dad or Mom's name. So I just picked a person with the same last name that was in the vicinity of our work and decided I would drive by to see if his car was parked out front.

One night after I closed, I drove by the house that I thought could be his. My McDonaldland cookies dropped and I looked down...as I looked up, I had no chance to react because I was heading straight for a parked street cleaning truck. I ran head-on into it. My face slammed against the steering wheel and I bit into my tongue. I could taste the blood. I went to the nearest house which happened to be his cousin's who was the Swing Manager at the time (different last name) and knocked on the door. Her dad answered in his underwear (remember...2:30am). I'm crying, explaining my accident. He lets me in. His daughter and wife wake up. They called my parents who came to get me. Of course, his cousin's first question was, "What are you doing out here??" I had to explain my foolish endeavor (I'm not a good liar). Why didn't I ask her where her cousin lived to begin with???? (Eventually, I got his true address from his parish buzz book and drove by without a hitch). Anyway, they took me to ER and I got 12 stitches in my tongue. Our family van was totaled. My parents were mad but felt I was punished enough. I was SO embarrassed about the whole situation. His cousin told her parents, who told his parents...but he never found out.

I remember seeing him in the breakroom. I talked to him with a lisp because of my stitches. He had no idea my accident was because of him! To make a long story short...about six months later, he found out I liked him, and we started dating. We dated until I finished college and then got married. We've been married for 13 1/2 years and have four children. I still have pictures of us in our McDonald's uniforms. We are so glad we shared that job, because I wouldn't have ever met him if I didn't work there. And as for the accident? He was worth it!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it were up to me, you'd be on your way to see Oprah! I've always loved that story... isn't love grand?!

Anonymous said...

PLEASE believe this - I can prove it ... I have some Oprah seats for YOU. I'm an author (my website is www.LoveNewLife.com). I PAID a speed dialing service to get through the Oprah line (can give you Paypal receipt) and have 3 EXTRA seats available for Sept 12th. NO JOKE. I live in Austin, Tx and cannot find anyone else willing to travel to Chicago. Call me, if interested, or use my website contact button. Thanks, Corinne

Anonymous said...

Whoops, forgot to give my number (see post above) - 512 478-1746