Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Flashback Writing Day

I used to be a big poem writer. I still have it in me, just not the time. Ted was my inspiration for a while...back in the days when I could oogle over him. Here's one that I wrote 10/18/90...15 years ago. Let's see...where was I then? I had just come back from Mizzou (University of Missouri-Columbia) the spring before. My grades were bad...I ran out of money and my mom just had her operation for her brain tumor. I knew by then that Ted was the one for me after meeting mostly jerks at Mizzou. I started my Junior year at the local university and stayed in town until I graduated. This poem was written at the beginning of my Junior year. I guess I wanted to be reassured that our relationship hadn't suffered too much while I was away at school. It was written in the school library when I should have been focused on studying!

By My Side
Hold me close and never cease,
Make me feel a hushing peace.
Give me love and whisper close,
Fill me with your inner most.
Let me feel like I'm alive,
Just be near me, by my side.

Say my doubts aren't even needed,
Cause we'll have what we've believed in.
Tell me that you'll never leave,
Be sincere so I believe.
Will you stay when I am weak?
When times are tough and life looks bleak?

Smile and see my comfort rise,
As you look into my eyes.
Then I'll see the love you feel,
And I'll know it must be real.
Hold my hand and we'll survive,
Just stay near me, by my side.

15 years, a marriage and four kids later...this is still pretty much all I want...is him by my side. I know now that he won't leave. We've seen me weak and life look bleak and he's still here. Life is so much sweeter with him by my side. I can't picture it any other way.

No comments: