Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Big Reveal!

It all started when I felt stuck with my full brick wall fireplace, when I decided to change the rest of the room instead and make the best of the wall that I had.

The first two pictures are what my family room looked like before...the rest are after:






The next two pictures show the two peices that pull it all together:


And this artwork...

It's mostly done. I have a mirror that needs to be hung over the couch, the mantel needs to be updated as well as the fireplace front. And I need a couple more peices for the walls. Oh yah, and new carpet! But it will happen in due time. This room is now more "me"...and it feels so good!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks WONDERFUL!!!! You must be SO happy with it! And since you have the finished basement, the kiddos don't need to be in this room quite as much for their "crazy time" (as I call it - when they are jumping on couches, etc.)

It's a very updated look - I am sure you are thrilled. It is similar to the look we are planning for our family room as well......one day! LOL!

Missy said...

Thanks, Stacey! It's funny, my little ones don't like going down to the basement by themselves. They are too scared. They will only go if someone else is with them. The old coffee table was their dance floor. We had to tell them right away, "No jumping off the ottoman!" I see how that thing is supported (webbing) and I knew that would have to be a no-no. So far they haven't attempted to jump on the couch. I've already banned food from the room (even though we don't have new carpet yet) and I am SHOCKED how easy it was.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I am having the same problem with my wall-o'-brick and fireplace. I am thinking of removing the cedar mantle and maybe installing a white fireplace surround - would that look tacky?? --penny b

Missy said...

I'm ALL for removing the cedar mantle...some day *sigh*. What do you mean by white surround? Paneling? You can e-mail me if you want... missy.naumann@sbcglobal.net

momcat133 said...

What a nice transformation! Did you ever get the mirror up? I have a similar mantle and I was thinking of putting up a mirror but I wasn't sure how to put it up so it wouldn't fall off. Thank you for your inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I have a very similar wall and am trying to decide what to do. Penny said she was thinking of removing the wood mantle and adding a white surround. This is something I've thought of too. Any thoughts or examples?