Monday, November 12, 2007

A Snapshot

This weekend I wanted to write a blog. In order to do that, I reasoned, I would need to download pictures from my camera of what we did this weekend. And then before I downloaded pictures, I would need to clear out the pictures that have already been printed so I wouldn't get confused. Before I organized the pictures, I would need to feed the kids, clean the house, do the laundry and wash the dishes. I didn't get the blog done.

Today I'm writing a blog with no pictures. I thought I would do a snapshot since it's been awhile.

What's at the top of my to-do list?
--I really need to some Christmas shopping. I usually have more done by now.
--Scheduled the kids' dental appointments
--Prepare for my all day crop on Sunday
--Print labels for Christmas Cards
--PTO--We have four major fundraising events in within two weeks: Book Fair, Breakfast with Santa, Eighth Grade Play and Classy Baskets (which are raffled at the Eighth Grade Play). It kind of freaked me out when I thought of it all last night. These are within the first and second week in December. I will be busy.

What have I accomplished?
--The past couple of weekends we've done a ton of yard work...between raking, blowing, and bagging leaves, to cutting down FIVE dead to dying trees and planting three in their place. We both have sore backs and arms. The leaves aren't over either. Our Bradford Pears will unleash the fury on us eventually.
--This seems silly to list after yard work, but I have managed to develop a do-able prayer schedule for myself that helps to remind myself that God is present in everything that I do. I have linked to prayer to simple every day things that I do...just because I am very easily distracted when it comes to prayer. Rosaries are very hard for me to do...so I stick to simple stuff. There are prayers I say when I get up and another set when I shower. I even do Mary's Fiat when I make my bed. I also have a petition/intercession list that I lift up every night as well as recognize what I am thankful for. This, along with reading and reflecting on the mass readings for the day, makes my prayer life feel more complete. Some days are better than others...but I think it's working out great! My motto is from Mother Teresa...God isn't calling me to be successful, only faithful. I know I already blogged about this...but it has to be a part of my Snapshot or it wouldn't be a true snapshot.

What is bugging me?
--Ben and Mary fighting. I let my full frustration out on Ben today which put him in a state of shock. I'm not a yeller, but I was fed up with his relentless teasing with Mary. I grew up with a lot of teasing and so I don't tolerate it well. Poor Ben. He told me I hurt his ears. He was perfect the rest of the day. Does this mean I should yell more? No. It wasn't something I wanted to do...it just came out of me. It sure packs a power punch when you don't do it much. And trust me, by this time I had tried everything (time out, taking away privileges, and nothing worked!). I know I haven't seen the end of their fighting, but I started looking forward to having him at school....which I felt horrible about...but she's much better behaved when he's not around!
--This high-maintenance potty training time! When we were at our last stop for tree shopping, I was on limited time. We took two cars so that I would be ready to leave to pick up Sam from Scouts. We had 10 minutes before I had to go and we were just getting out of the car when Ben tells me he has to poop. Mary wanted to come with me, so I take both of them on my trek to the potty. I wanted to do this as quickly as possible so I could shop for trees. Ben insisted on stripping to nothing because he doesn't like to poop with his pants on and taking off the pants involves taking off the shoes. He doesn't like his shirt hanging too low, so we had to take that off too! Poops never come quickly. After that was done, wiped and dressed....Mary tells me she needs to go. Better now than later. She insists on taking her clothes off too, but agreed to keep her shirt on. Sigh. Off come the shoes, pants, socks (I don't know why!). When all was said and done, I only had about five minutes to shop. I threw out my ideas to Ted before whisking away to pick up Sam. Sometimes I feel like many of our decisions are made in a rush. But it all turned out fine.

What's been making me happy?
--The accomplishments in our yard
--Fall birthday celebrations are done
--The great weather!!
--My new efforts to pray regularly
--Getting ready for the holidays
--Sam's piano playing. It is so gratifying to hear him spontaneously pop on the piano to practice some songs. I always thought it would be something I would have to make him practice. I don't. It's music to my ears.
--A successful family outing! We took the four kids to see the Bee Movie! No one needed to be taken out for being too loud, there were no fits, no major spills and they watched the whole movie! I remember passed movies when Ted and I took turns with one of the kids in the lobby! It felt like a major accomplishment, even though it set us back $65!!
--A happy, full family mass experience this past Sunday. No one needed to be taken out for being to loud, there were no fits and they stayed good through the whole mass! Whew. I think we are getting somewhere. Now if I could only stop the fighting...

No comments: