Friday, May 11, 2007

St. Faustina Quotes

I've been reading the diary of St. Faustina. It is 644 pages not including the footnotes. I actually took a break from it around page 250 and haven't really got back to reading it again, but I want to. I copied some quotes from the diary for my CRHP group and thought I would share them with you too. These words make me have a totally different view on suffering. Like suffering has a purpose in our lives. It's not just a bad thing that happens to us, but it actually makes us better. I know Saints feel so removed from us and the present day, but I still feel a tugging to read about their lives and how they think. I think even though I am so far from being like a saint... I can learn from them.


Pg 20 section 38: “In order to purify a soul, Jesus uses whatever instruments he likes. My soul underwent a complete abandonment on the part of creatures; often my best intentions were misinterpreted by the sisters, a type of suffering which is most painful; but God allows it, and we must accept it because in this way we become more like Jesus.”

Pg 29 section 57: “Suffering is a great grace; through suffering; the soul becomes like the Savior; in suffering love becomes crystallized; the greater the suffering the purer the love.”

Pg 34 section 67: St. Faustina hears Jesus say to her, “You are not living for yourself but for souls, and other souls will profit from your sufferings. Your prolonged suffering will give them the light and strength to accept My will.”

Pg 37 section 72: I love this prayer, “O Jesus, when I consider the great price of Your Blood, I rejoice at it’s immensity, for one drop alone would have been enough for the salvation of all sinners.”

Pg 43 section 86: Jesus says to St. Faustina: “I do not reward for good results but for the patience and hardship undergone for My sake.”

Pg 114 section 226: “I must maintain peace and equanimity during times of suffering. In difficult moments I must take refuge in the wounds of Jesus; I must seek consolation, comfort, light and affirmation in the the wounds of Jesus. In the midst of trials I will try to see the loving hand of God.”

Pg 121 section 243: “ I will thank the Lord Jesus for every humiliation and will pray especially for the person who has given me the chance to be humiliated.”

Pg 125 section 255: This one challenged me…”I will hide from people’s eyes whatever good I am able to do so that God himself may be my reward.”

Pg 128 section 267: “Jesus told me that I please Him best by meditating on His sorrowful Passion, and by such meditation much light falls upon the soul.”

Pg 130 section 270: “Without humility, we cannot be pleasing to God…not only must one refrain from explaining and defending oneself when reproached with something, but one should rejoice at the humiliation.”

Pg 130 section 270: “True works of God always meet opposition and are marked by suffering.”

Pg 145 section 320: “Jesus made known to me how very pleasing to Him were prayers of atonement. He said to me, ‘The prayer of a humble and loving soul disarms the anger of My Father and draws down an ocean of blessings.”

Pg 147 section 324: “I united my sufferings with the sufferings of Jesus and offered them for myself and for the conversion of souls who do not trust in the goodness of God.” And later in that same section: “There is but one price at which souls are bought, and that is suffering united to My suffering on the cross.”

Here is an example of her offering her sufferings: “Jesus, I offer You all my sufferings, mortification and prayers for the intentions of the Holy Father, so that he may approve the Feast of Mercy.” She offered her sufferings for an intention. We can do it too!!

Finally, pg 153 section 342: “Suffering is the greatest treasure on earth; it purifies the soul.” And 343: “True love is measured by the thermometer of suffering.”

When I think of this last statement, it strikes me as being so true. It is short and sweet but packs a power punch. Look what Jesus did to show is love for us. Would you suffer for someone you don't care about? No! They wouldn't be worth it. But of course, we are not supposed to discriminate. We are supposed to love everyone. It's just something I could mull over in my head for quite a while...or at least until I get distracted with laundry, dishes, the kids...hahaha.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love this about you - you are always learning!!

Thank you for sharing these quotes!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these Missy! What a great way to shift perspective to the BIG picture!

I especially like the one near the end . . . “Suffering is the greatest treasure on earth; it purifies the soul.”

We're always trying to avoid suffering or find an end to suffering or praying that God will take suffering away . . . never experiencing it as a 'treasure'!

Geez, it makes it sound like something we might even go looking for, if it's a treasure! Hmmmm. Not sure I'm ready for that! ;)

Ann

Anonymous said...

Missy,

Can you please send me your new email address? Somehow I still ended up with an old one that isn't going through to you.

Thanks,
Theresa

Ember said...

Reading these quotes makes whatever we do worthwhile...Thanks for making us aware of the utility of suffering, reproaches & humiliation.
It's important to read these quotes over and over again!

God Bless your family always!
EMBER
(Mumbai)

shiro said...

Hi Missy,

I am also Catholic and i live in Nairobi- Kenya. Thank you for posting these quotes they truly are encouraging. i have actually saved them and i am planning to forward them to my loved ones. I am also encouraged by the fact that you dated your husband for 9 years before marriage and you that have been together for 23 years. I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years and we are both saving for marriage. May God continue blessing you and your whole family.

Shiro
Kenya.