Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Snapshot

What's at the top of my to-do list?
--Abby's in the Talent Show tomorrow. She is Ryan Secrest in an American Idol skit. I have to pack her costume. Tomorrow night she has softball practice and then her friend's mom will pick her up and take her straight to Build A Bear for a birthday party and then she will spend the night. I'll pick her up first thing in the morning to take her to her softball game at 9am. I just found out about the party today and I need to buy a gift tomorrow! Yikes!
--I need to make a side dish (don't know what yet) for Cub Scout graduation/picnic on Sunday and then afterwards we will head to another picnic, where I've promised to bring mashed potatoes.
--I've decided to make a CD of songs for the women in our Children's Liturgy group who don't feel comfortable leading the kids in song during their liturgy. The CD will have music in order (as it is sung in a liturgy) so they can just play the CD for the music. In order to make this CD, I have borrowed my brother-in-law's mini-disc audio recorder that he uses for podcasts. It's got awesome sound quality. I'm getting Abby and her friends to help sing on the CD and I'll sing in the background and play guitar. It ought to be interesting. When I'm done, I should be able to post it on the blog. We'll see if I can figure out how to do that.
--This isn't on the top of my to-do list...but it is something I need to do over the summer...I need to make a slide show for the PTO. I'll use the recorder to get the kids singing at church and the kindergartens singing in their end of year program. This will be background music to the slide show. Both of these projects have my mind consumed and I'll feel much better when they are both done!

What have I accomplished?
--Got Abby to finish her thank you notes for her First Communion gifts.
--Turned in Sam's registration for two Cub Scout camps...one is a day camp for 5 days and another one is a 5 day overnight camp. Health forms are sent to the doctor to fill out and return.
--Turned in Abby's registration for Girl Scout camp and Vacation Bible School
--Caught up on taped Oprah shows

What's bugging me?
--Whenever I have the windows open, Ben and Mary throw their usual fits and I worry about what the neighbors think. I'm wondering if they think I abuse them or something. One time when I left the house to go to a meeting, I could actually hear the kids crying FROM MY CAR.
--There seems to be a lot of negativity in the upper grades of our school...coming from the parents. I don't like complaining. Nothing good comes from it. Either tell someone who can change it, or just be quiet. Our enrollment seems to be dropping. We got a new principal last year and she's great but not a warm fuzzy type. I would call her efficient...which is what I think you need in this role. But many people are having a tough time adjusting to the change. She's pretty strict.
--It's not a big deal, but I used this darn tanning spray and wound up with streaks all over my legs on Mother's Day! I'm now trying one of those moisturizing kind that develop color more gradually. We'll see how it works.

What's my latest obsession?
--I really really really want one of those cool digital recorders! (Or a mini-disc recorder). I love the idea of being able to record music...like when I teach people songs...or to be able to record sound bytes...like from the kids...and posting them on my blog.
--I'm also really tied up with getting some of these recordings done before school is out.

What's been making me happy?
--It makes me so happy to be able to give the kids a good summer with many activities. Last summer I felt so overwhelmed with Ben and Mary that I didn't focus much on Sam and Abby. I feel like this summer will be totally different. With swim team, camps and camping...they should have a very full summer! And for some reason this just feels very exhilarating to me.
--I've been handed over the duties for PTO President now, and instead of feeling the fear I felt before, I now feel ready. That's a good feeling. I hate fear. I'm sure the fear will creep up again at different times throughout the year, but I'll deal with it as it comes.
--I'm really looking forward to summer! We only have 9 1/2 days of school left!
--We're camping at Injun Joe Campground in Hannibal, MO next weekend. I'm anxious to see how Ben and Mary will do camping this year. I'm hopeful that it will be better than last year.

This was a long post...but it's been a while since I've really written. Sorry. I've been busy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great update. I always love hearing your news! I just wanted to let you know.....tanning moisturizers are fantastic! Much better than those streaky sprays. Stick with it!