Friday, October 29, 2010

What "Toy" Would You Take?

We just saw Toy Story 3 at the dollar show. It was very cute. Andy goes away to college. His toys are so important to him that he packs up his favorite toy to take with him (Woody), his other favorite toys he packs up and stores in the attic. He doesn't want to give them away.

After the movie, I asked the kids what toy is so important to them that they would take it to college. Sam (14) asked if the PS3 would count as a toy. Why not? Ben (7) said he would want to take the laptop and legos. Mary (6) thought and thought. I reminded her that her absolute favorite thing was her Strawberry Shortcake blankie that her cousin made for her when she was born. She agreed wholeheartedly. Abby (12) is in Florida with friends, so she couldn't weigh in. But Ted and I decided we would take our turn. Ted said he would bring his golf clubs. I asked the kids what they thought I would bring. "Your Laptop".

How did they get to be so smart? Is it because all of my pictures are on here? Or maybe because of my digital scrapbook albums? Are they thinking about how I can chat with Theresa, who lives in Australia, using Skype? Or that I can peruse Facebook to catch up with old friends? Maybe they know that I've started blogging again. Or that I can't live without e-mail? Perhaps they found out that I keep my complicated Christmas list on an Excel spreadsheet? They probably understand that I can't imagine life without the internet where I get recipes, my news, the dish on the stars, or how to spell "mostaccioli" (just looked it up yesterday). The internet...it was my window to the world when I was a stay at home with young children. Now I find countless uses including planning a trip, looking up job descriptions for work, and researching my next e-bay or amazon purchase. I'm sure they know that my calendar is on here, my addresses and phone numbers of all our friends and family, my recipe book, and scrapbooking software.

Yup. I think it's my favorite toy. Ted thinks my iphone comes in a close 2nd. I agree.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Books! I love books! There are so many I would love to have....even if I don't have the chance to read them! Don't you just love the smell of a new book? So I think I would have to take a few books...prob those I have read and re-read and will re-read again!

Missy said...

Amen, Sister! I LOVE BOOKS!!! Maybe with my laptop I could download them digitally :-). But nothing like the pages of a book in my hand.