Sunday, December 30, 2007

Year End Review

At the end of every year I like to review the significant moments of the year. Some of them are happy moments... some struggles. The happy moments remind me to be grateful for what God has done for me and the struggles remind me of what He's brought me through.

January
--After being laid off by Charter in December, Ted started his new job at AT&T.
--Ted finished installing new baseboards and six panel doors upstairs.
--Threw a retirement party for my mother-in-law
--Abby's First Reconciliation
--Went on Crop Weekend and got so much done in my albums!
--Mary, then Ben, then Sam all had a stomach virus
--I did a personal inventory to stay in touch with what makes me happy...among the list was: learning, reading, great conversation, helping others and spending time with my family and friends. I also decided that I am happiest when I'm "underbooked". Having some free time, allows me to do any of the above favored activities. I decided to make it my goal and the goal of me and my family to stay away from too much structured time and always keep room for down time.

February
--FINALLY furnished my empty Dining Room after 3 years in this house! Bought curtains for both the Dining and Living Rooms. I felt so complete after doing this!
--Had my first dinner party with couples from college. Made my first Beef Wellington!

March
--Became obsessive about cooking. Watched The Food Network a lot. Tried many new recipes
--Gave Sam and Abby swim lessons for the FIRST TIME EVER. I wanted them to gain confidence for the swim team over summer.
--Bought a panini press. Wow. I still love this thing. We use it all the time.

April
--Sam started piano lessons from neighbor
--Sliced my hand on a mandolin making french onion soup. Got stitches. I still can't use the mandolin without cringing.
--Bought a new riding mower
--Replaced our asphalt driveway with concrete
--Went on Women's Group Retreat
--Got a new refrigerator (cheap one) to put in my laundry room. I don't know how I survived without two refrigerators now.
--Discover that Abby's "tics" could be seizures. Confirm "Absence Seizures" through an EEG. She gets put on Lamictal and will be on it for about 2 years.
--Abby's First Communion!!
--Ben turns 4!

May
--Abby gets an MRI to eliminate the possibility of any other brain problems. She's clear. Whew!
--Was officially handed over the role of PTO President for the 2007-2008 school year
--Camped with family at Injun Joe Campground in Hannibal, MO.
--I get my very own, used, mini-disc recorder. I use it to record songs for Children's Liturgy to help the liturgists who don't like to lead singing. LOVE this toy.

June
--Borrow my parents bread machine and I've been using it ever since. LOVE IT!!
--Took the kids to Six Flags
--Girl Scout camp, Cub Scout Day Camp, Webelos Overnight Camp
--Sam and Abby start their first summer on the swim team

July
--Went camping with friends and family at Eminence, MO
--After this trip, I figured we've logged 12,700 miles on our Jayco Kiwi Travel Trailer and taken 33 camping trips with it. It has been money well spent! We've had our trailer since the summer of 2000.

August
--Took a camping trip with my sisters and their families and my parents to Door County, WI.
--Became disgusted with potty training. Ben was still pooping in his pants at the age of four and Mary showed no interest in potty training at the age of 2 years and 10 month.
--Made my first slide show. It was shown at our back to school night. This was a LOT of work!
--Ben had his 4 year appointment, on August 18, with his Pediatrician and we made a decision to not tolerate any more poop in the pants. His favorite game would be taken away each time he pooped in his pants. Within two weeks he was fully trained with no accidents. It didn't come easy, but it had to be done this way. After pooping in pants for one full year past being potty trained, he is finally fully trained. YAAYY!!!
--Started doing major purging in my house. Got rid of many toys from downstairs that weren't being played with.
--Sam started fifth grade, Abby started third, Ben started preschool and Mary stayed at home.

September
--Continued purging. I went through closets, the storage room, drawers in the kitchen...everywhere...getting rid of junk. It was liberating!
--Start practicing Flylady again.
--Make a renewed effort to potty train Mary again, but hit a roadblock when she decides she wants her diaper back.
--Started meal planning and LOVED it! I make a plan for the whole month. I rarely do everything on the day planned, but I'm always ready to do any of the meals for the week.
--Abby turned 9!

October
--Mary goes back to underwear full time during the day. She needs her diaper for pooping and night time. Decide not to make an issue of this and take one thing at a time.
--Mary gets a big girl's bed! And over the past couple of months stopped taking an afternoon nap.
--Sam turned 11!

November
--Mary turned 3!
--Flylady flies out the window. No more organized cleaning. Other things take over, but I still desire to return someday.
--Felt a frustration with the difficulties of raising Mary when I heard a voice in my head telling me "She will be amazing". This gave me hope and renewed my energies in dealing with her. I looked at all my sacrifices as investments in creating something beautiful.
--Read "Mother's Rule of Life" and decided to put a better plan of praying daily, into action. I'm still following this plan and it's really working. So often, I come up with something that's not me and then it doesn't work. I found a daily prayer ritual that is me and works!

December
--Became frustrated with my family room. Decided I didn't have to wait for my kids to be 20 before I invest in new furniture in carpet. Also decided that I would enforce a "no food" policy in the family room. Also expressed my confusion over my fireplace wall.

Just Yesterday
--Ted found an ad for "American" that offered a free 50" Plasma TV with a $3300 purchase of furniture. We decided it was time. I place an order for a new leather couch, two chairs and a console for the new TV. The current furniture will go downstairs. We'll order new carpet in March. I still don't know what to do with my fireplace wall.

Much has happened in one year! Some things are still a struggle (Ben and Mary fighting), but some things continue to change. Mary is maturing and not having as many fits (or maybe I've just accepted them and gotten used to it). We are enjoying more things as a family as Ben and Mary get older and are able to adapt to camping better, mass, movies and the mall. I'm happier when I can enjoy time with my family. Just now I am seeing how we are doing this so much better than we used to. We're now off to see the Chipmunk movie. Wish us luck!!

No comments: