Tuesday, December 18, 2007

No One Told Me

I didn't know I could be quite so tickled pink. I mean, I know how frustrating some of this child rearing stuff can be...but no one really accurately portrayed the highs. How good you can feel when you are excited for your child. You don't really know until you experience it yourself. I think I'm kinda used to being on the losing team. I never get too proud of my kids because I'm aware how quickly things can turn, given a certain age. I know that all the good they do and are...is because of their Creator, not me. However, you can't help but really enjoy the good. I'm in my corner cheering them on!

Tonight, Sam played in his second band concert. This is not any great achievement, really. It's his first year in band and he's the only one playing the trombone (because it was the only instrument left since he joined late). There are many other kids that enjoy playing in the band. I guess the achievement is one I feel in my heart. I am overjoyed that Sam is in love with music! It's not really anything I saw coming.

It all started when he would take out our keyboard and piddle on it. Then he would teach himself songs that are programmed into the keyboard. He would play them over and over and get every key just right. It was all about mastering it. Then, we started to take him seriously and signed him up for piano lessons last April. He loved it! He's always jumping on the piano and practicing...I don't have to beg! His teacher says he is a quick learner and has great dexterity. She moves him faster than her other students to keep him challenged. When I went to his piano recital...I thought he would be the "beginner". He wasn't. He was the most advanced!

You'll have to excuse my excitement here. You know I'm the first one to tell you about my disappointments in child rearing...as well as my struggles. I'm real about it all. So I have to be real about my excitement with Sam. To see his eagerness to learn just thrills me. I'm so happy he has something that he's really into...besides gaming. I've seen him do less gaming (really it was out of boredom) and more music playing. I feel like it's a goal for every parent to find something their child enjoys. If they have hobbies or interests, they can feel good about themselves and feel like they offer something to the world. I want my kids to always feel they are important and offer something to the world.

This is the just the beginning for Sam. Who knows where this will take him? I know it's already brought him out in a way I haven't seen before. It's all he talks about. He likes playing all the parts in the band on the piano and charting out all the notes that each instrument plays. He listens to his band music on his mp3 player and plays along on his trombone. I love it. Sam's great grandfather played the clarinet in a band. My mom and her sisters all sing. My aunt taught herself guitar. And I love music. I love singing and I love playing guitar. And now Sam has the bug.

I have to tell you a little story. I was at a prayer meeting and in the early stages of pregnancy with Sam. There was some very spiritual woman who was there as a guest and seemed to have some gifts. I couldn't tell you what exactly they were, but she seemed to know I was pregnant. She said a prayer with me and then said that she felt that "through the storms, this baby would come out the songbird". I think I focused more on the storms part. What storms? What's going to happen? I often think back and wonder still, "What were the storms?" There were many trials with Sam, but I can say each child has brought there own. I have no doubt though now, that what she said has come true. He is my songbird!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Seeing our children discover their talents is very cool......letting them have the opportunities to try different things opens all sorts of doors to them........it will be fun to see what each of the kids is attracted to!! Looking forward to Christmas.......love, Kathy

Missy said...

I've also enjoyed watching Adam take on his different instruments and I insist I will see him on stage some day. I hope the play went well. I'll be there when he's doing them in highschool!!