Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Snapshot

What's on my to-do list?
--Turn in Flat Stanley adventures into Ben's preschool tomorrow
--Get a check for $2100 from the PTO Treasurer for Teacher Christmas gift cards
--Prepare for 80's Dance meeting on Thursday
--Practice for Christmas Music for Nursing Home mass on Friday
--Make sure all St. Nick gifts are wrapped by Wednesday evening.
--Buy adopt a family gifts for cub scout family
--Get babysitter for a play on the 15th
It is cuh-razy around here

What have I accomplished?
--Took pictures of Flat Stanley with Ben and uploaded to Walgreens so Ted could pick them up. Put them in the album and journaled our day.
--Uploaded family pictures that I will give to my brother, Josh, for his bday (12/24). We gave him an album last year, that he can add his new pics to.
--Uploaded pictures of Abby and the neighbors so she can put them in cute albums to give to them for Christmas
--Took all the teachers' and staff (42)separate Shop For Our School Gift card orders and made one order. Of course it didn't add up correctly so I had to reconcile it.
--Decided to give laminated book marks to all the teachers at their Teacher Appreciation luncheon in January. Still need to decide what to put on them.
--Made an advent wreath for Children's Liturgy. I don't like taper candles because they fall over so easily (and they are harder to store while in the wreath), so I made my own. I bought votives at the local religious gifts store and then, put them in glass holders from Target. I cut off pieces of garland and wrapped each glass with the garland. I then glued them on a plate. I wrapped a gold ribbon around all of it.
--Bought toiletries, cleaning supplies, towels, paper products, CD player, etc., for an adopt a family that my friend and I are sharing.
--PTO event--Breakfast with Santa-- done! I led the Brownies with guitar to Christmas Carols

What's been bugging me lately?
--Mary has a dead tooth. It's the same one that Ben has. She has not been hurt. Is this stuff hereditary?? Ted has a dead tooth, too. I need to get her 3 year pictures taken before that tooth gets worse. Ben's is really dark. Mary's is not that bad yet.
--I've gotten daily calls from the nurse saying that Abby is in her office...mostly from headaches, but once it was a sore knee. The last headache she had, it felt better during recess and when it was time to go to the Book Fair. I told her "NO MORE NURSE VISITS UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY SICK!!!"
--Trying to get Ben in bed takes too long. I'm sitting outside Ben's door and he just won't go to bed! It's like he has a long period before he actually settles down for bed.

What's making me happy?
--Each event that I finish for the PTO are like huge words I can cross off a list! I'm in a countdown of sorts: Packet Pick up Night--done, Grandparent's Day--done, Taste of J&A--done, Halloween Trivia Night--done, McTeacher Night--one down, one to go, Chuck E Cheese night--One down, one to go, Breakfast with Santa--done, Book Fair--two more days to go, Classy Baskets--over by 12/14, Eighth Grade Play--over by 12/14. These are the big events that are left: 80's Dance, Winter Carnival, Spring PTO Meeting, Art Expo/Auction, Father/Daughter Dance. It will be a big burden lifted when I can pass on the reigns on May 3rd. I can't wait to be less responsible!!
--That despite all that I am doing and how crazy it is, I'm very at peace and very happy.
--It's only a little over a year before I go on my Australia trip! I'll be getting a passport and a plane ticket very soon!!
--That God keeps finding uses for my guitar playing! 6 years ago I was pregnant and wanting to learn guitar. I knew it didn't make any sense, but I started teaching myself anyway. I found chords on the internet, bought a cheap guitar at a student music store and started strumming deathly horrible sounds. After blisters on my fingers and the stillbirth of my baby, I gave it up for a bit. About 6 months later I picked it back up and have done things I would never have dreamed. The guitar is a great portable instrument that really comes in handy: Women's Group, CRHP retreat, CRHP meeting, EFOP (Eucharistic Festival of Praise), Children's Liturgy, camping campfires, and lately--leading the Brownies in Christmas Carols and playing for the mass at a nursing home. Now they are asking me to help with the next Vacation Bible School. It feels great for a novice guitarist. Many of these things I had volunteered for and then freaked out...what was I thinking??? I'd practice my heart out and play with shaking hands. Now I'm more comfortable...I don't freak out as much. And I thank my Women's Group for letting me practice on them during our Praise and Worship. I ruined many a praise and worship session because of poor playing...and they were patient with me and let me hone my skill there.

OK...enough already. Ben is way asleep. Goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was looking for your "after picture" on your brick wall. Found the original before picture and your questions redoing it but where do I find your after picture. Also, can you direct me to other pictures/ideas you found or received as comments on your blog. I am facing a similar situation to yours and would just love to see dozens of different ideas for changing this look. I do not mind the brick and have already painted it a cream color as are the side walls but don't know how to "decorate the wall"--like how would a modern mantle look, how would a quilt look, how modern pictures. My room is modernish and I had thought interesting paintings would look good on the wall but they don't. So, any modern wall retreatments--with or without going over the brick. There were so many rooms of this ilk in the 70s and yet I am not finding decorating ideas for this. Help! My name is Amy