Thursday, March 22, 2007

Oops I Did It Again!



OK. Breathe. I just bought another clamshell cooking device. It all started with the Quesadilla Maker. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't like the way it was hard to shut. They made it with these ridges that form the tortilla into wedges. Well, if your filling was on the "ridge" than it was very hard to close. I still like it but I can only have quesadillas so often and it's just not very often. The next clamshell I purchased was the waffle iron. I really enjoy this one too and who doesn't like waffles? We still use this one fairly often (even though it's a pain to clean). Anyway, you know I'm on this cooking craze...watching Food Network and all. Well, I started thinking about how cool it would be to have a George Foreman Grill. This got me thinking about the flexibility of a panini press and I ended up getting something that does both!! On e-Bay of course. It's a remanufactured item so I didn't pay full price ($60 instead of twice that amount).

I actually like remanufactured items because their cheaper, they've been fixed on their weak point, and had to pass the standards of a new one before selling it. This particular grill/press is the Cuisinart GR-4 Griddler. It comes with interchangeable plates, one with the grill lines and one that is flat. I'm really excited to try and make panini (I want to put an "s" on the end but "panini" is already plural). I love a good hot sandwich. I love them at Penn Station, Bread Company (Panera Bread), Subway and Quizno. Soon I'll be able to make my own!!

I've been looking up recipes from Bread Co's very own Lemon Artichoke Chicken...YUM...to philly cheese steaks. I found one cool recipe for a Grilled Chicken Pesto panini. It looks so good, I'm sure it'll be the first one I make.

In addition to the panini, I can treat it like a George Foreman and grill hamburgers, chicken, veggies, pancakes, eggs, and quesadillas! I might as well get rid of that useless quesadilla maker. One reviewer mentioned warming up tortilla roll-ups. The options are endless! Unlike my other clamshells, this one has an adjustable top so you can cook a thick sandwich on it and it will still rest properly while cooking. Another reviewer mentioned it was great to take camping. I'll be sure to do that! Your meat cooks much quicker because it is getting heat on both sides.

I'll have to take a picture of what I make and post it. And I'll definitely let you know how it tastes! I'm already picturing lunch with a friend and a good hot panini sandwich. Mmmmm..

No comments: