Thursday, April 06, 2006

Snapshot Thursday

I know it's been a while since I've done one of these...sorry.

What's at the top of my to-do list?
--I bought all of these chicken breasts (individually frozen kind) a couple of weeks ago and now I need to cook them! They were majorly discounted so I bought like a total of 4 in two separate trips to the market. Time to eat some chicken! It's taking up all my freezer space. I'm going to cook a full 3 lb bag and make some chicken salad for lunches and cut some strips for fajitas tonight. I've gotten off the cooking track and I need to get back on.
--Organize clothes! With four kids, this always seems to be a huge task. I really need to go through their closets (and mine and Ted's) and get of rid of what we didn't wear or don't want to pass down and bring the rest downstairs for storage.
--Make cropping a priority. I've already scheduled two evenings on the calendar this month to help me catch up. It's going to take a while, but you have to start somewhere!

What have I accomplished?
--Cleaned out the foyer closet. Got rid of the old mittens and gloves we have grown out of or that are missing a mate. I haven't done this in years. It was needed.
--Got two people to come over and look at our basement to give us bids on finishing it. We are still waiting on the bids...but at least it's in the works.
--I just finished Purpose Driven Life last night. LOVED THAT BOOK. I can't say enough about that book. I'm inspired to read the Bible starting at Genesis. That means putting off some of my other reading. Ted and I will read and discuss it together. This will take a long time but I really think it's something I need to do. I've never read it from start to finish. I've printed out a plan that has you finishing it in one year...that's with reading it every night. I know there will be times when I'll be better than others...so I'm sure I won't finish it in a year, but I want to make a commitment to do it. That's why I'm typing this here. I'm making myself accountable.
--I've stocked my pantries with some healthy snack options for me. Chips and cookies are still my weakness, so I'm trying to limit my chip and cookie intake (not eliminate) during meals and in between meals, eliminating all unhealthy snacks. So I bought some Wheat Thins and some dried fruit mixes and healthy granola bars (not the kid kind). I've been pretty good about snacking on fruit which used to NOT be in my diet at all! I'm still bad with vegetables. I love them...I'm just too lazy to prepare another side sometimes and I like fresh or frozen, not canned.
What's bugging me?
--I'm still in my pajamas and it's almost noon. It's just not worth it to take it while the kids are awake and I'm waiting for at least Mary to go down. Ted had to head out early for a meeting today so I couldn't fit my shower in before he left. By the way, the whole not having a shower and washing my hair on my retreat was NO BIG DEAL! Of course, let me tell you how prepared I was. I brought two ziplock bags, one for my soapy wash cloth and one for the rinsing one. I did one big sponge bath in the Junior High bathroom stall! It felt so good! I really felt like I took a shower...except for my hair :-(. The sink was too small for my big head. But you know what? Because my body felt so clean...it didn't matter! It was such a non-issue. Of course, I loaded it up with hair spray to keep it in place. I saw other high maintenance women there, applying full make up at the sinks and hairspraying their hair. Woo hooo! Ok...but I was wishing I had taken off my hillbilly, chipped toe nail polish and applied a fresh coat because I forgot there was going to be a foot washing!! I survived. *smile*
--The storm loosened some facia on our roof and it keeps blowing in the wind. Ted tried to rip it the rest of the way off and it wouldn't budge. Meanwhile, I have neighbors asking me if I know about it. Ugg. Ted's going to cut it off with something that cuts through metal. In the meantime, I'm picturing it gouging holes in our roof!
--The grass in our backyard is TALL. I really need to cut it, but it keeps raining!
--I wish I didn't love junk food so much. I know I'm on a good kick now, but I also know these things don't typically last forever for me. However, I tend to adopt one good habit every time.
--Why does this dried fruit and nut mix taste like I'm eating bark and sugar rocks? I tried to buy the cheapest stuff I could find and it tastes like I was out in the woods and picked up something from the ground and ate it. I refuse to buy the expensive stuff.
--We are out of our sandwich sized zip lock bags. I think Ted used gallon size on the lunches today. There is always something I don't know we are out of when I go to the store.
--I wish Ben wanted to potty train. He has NO desire. He'll be three in May.

What have I said I was going to do but I havenÂ’t?
--I have books upon books that I have bought and want to read and about this much *fingerspinched* time to read. Oh well.
--I have a prayer partner in Women's Group that I'm supposed to be praying for. I started off with a bang and now I'm a whimper. I'm going to write her name down as a bookmark in my bible so I don't forget...and if you all could do me a favor and pray for Nancy? She really needs it since I've been so bad. *slappingmyhand*

What's my latest obsession?
--Finding Patrick R. a job at Charter. I caught up with a brother of my friend, Theresa, last week. He's looking for a new job, so I've been bugging Ted constantly, "Did you check on the job openings?" and "How much does that one pay?" and "Have you called your manager friend in Charter Business yet?". When you're happy with the job you have and it provides well for your family, you want everyone to be happy. Especially someone like Patrick. He's one of those really great guys who'strustworthyy and real. Not a big shmoozy, fake person, you know? He's got 4 kids and his wife is a SAHM. They just bought a new house and he's in a job with no room for growth. If Ted had an opening, he could hire him in his department. Too bad.

What's been making me happy?
--Ben is in a Mom's Day Out program that I thought he would be too old for next year. But, NO...he's NOT! I was going to put him in the preschool class which was $105 a month, compared to $70 for the MDO program. Preschool would have been two 2 1/2 hour mornings a week. MDO is a five hour day, once a week. By keeping Ben in MDO, I can add Mary at a discount and have them both gone, one day a week for $135 a month. Not bad! And do you know what this means?? This means I will have one free day to make DR appts, dental appts, or do lunch outings. I can meet Sam and Abby for lunch at school without worrying about babysitting. I can meet Ted for lunch at work. I can do my grocery shopping with no children in tow! One free day a week! I can't believe this. And can you believe I have a little guilt putting Mary in? She'll be two in November...am I rushing things?? I just think it will be a good break for me and I'll still see her the other 6 days. The year after won't be like this because Ben will be in preschool 4 mornings a week and I'll have that pesky morning pick up. Plus, it'll be more expensive. I'll just keep Mary home that year. Anyway, I'm pinching myself with excitement for next year and my one, free day a week!

No comments: