Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My Wheels Runneth Over

I was sweeping my garage today with my new broom, when I thought it had an odd shape. The pole was not like a round cylinder, but more like an oval shaped cylinder. "How odd!", I thought. And the paint was chipping right where the pointed part was...like a big ridge running all the way down the pole. What a cheap broom! And then it hit me. The shape of my broom was MY fault. How could that be, you say? Well let me tell you...

It all started as a typical trip to Target. I bought more than I planned but felt good about saving money. I usually get all my cereal, bread, pop-tarts, granola bars, chips, cookies and milk there. It's a lot cheaper at Target than it is at the local grocery store. So anyway, I leave feeling slightly bad that I took so long. Ted watched the kids while I made my trip and I had already been gone over an hour. I went out to the car and started loading the trunk. I hate it when my purse constantly slips off my shoulder while bending over, so I set my purse in the trunk while I loaded the groceries. I made a mental note, "Don't forget to get your purse out before closing the trunk! Mental notes have NEVER worked for me. I slammed the trunk shut without a second thought. I had a broom in my hand that I just purchased and was about to put it in the back seat when I realized I had just locked myself out of my car. With my quick, laser sharp thinking, I decided to put the broom under my car before leaving it. "Smart thinking!", I said. No one will see it, or take it. Forgetting my track record with mental notes, I left myself another one to remember that I put my broom there. I left the car and as I was walking I thought about what to do. Technically, I'm close enough to walk home, grab keys, and walk back to take my car home. But not that close! I'd be willing to walk one way, but not two! I decided to call Ted from the store. My cell phone was in my purse...Man, I felt naked without my purse! What an odd feeling! I went inside the store and went to the photo counter. The girl politely let me use her phone after I told her mine was locked in my trunk. I'm sure she thought I was one sure idiot!

Ted answers, "Hello?"....a little sheepishly. I'm sure he thought I had an accident or stall on the way home. He could tell I was calling from a Target phone. I explained my brilliant situation. We pondered what to do. Ultimately I could always do the walking thing, BUT would love it if he came to pick me. I really didn't want him waking up Ben and Mary who were already in bed. What if you left Sam and Abby just for those two minutes it would take to get me? We decided we would feel better about it if Ted kept a phone conversation with Sam the whole time he was gone. So Ted talked to Sam on his cell phone while he came to bring me my keys. I met him in the parking lot and immediately opened my trunk to get my purse. Naked no more! I whisked out of the parking lot, happy to get home and relax. As I entered my subdivision, I remembered my broom! I left it at Target in the parking lot!! Arrgghhhh!!!! I turned around and went back to Target to get the broom. What if someone had taken it? How would I explain that one to Target. I would just be out of a broom. When I pulled up I saw my broom. Yahhh!

After my little flashblack, I realized that I must have ran over my broom with car, backing out of the parking spot. I kinda bugs me that it's not a nice ergonomically round cylinder shape. And that peeling paint ridge is kinda irritating. Oh well. It still sweeps well.

Unfortunately, my broom isn't the only thing I've run over lately. Today while mowing the lawn, I skinned a baby bunny and killed it almost instantly! I saw him take his last breaths and his leg jittered before he died. It was so sad! I hate killing things! I can kill insects without a blink, but anything with fur goes through me.

Sam and Abby have a favorite website they go to called "Club Penguin". They run around as Penguins and they can pick what they want to wear and they can talk to the other "penguins" (kids) on the site. There is a penguin newspaper where you can submit poems. I wrote a poem about the bunny:

I'm sorry baby bunny
We hate that you are dead
My mom was trying to mow the lawn,
When she mowed across your head.
She didn't see you lying there
Underneath the grass
She only wanted shorter blades
And you were in her path.
When she plowed you over
She saw the blood and fur
The sight of you made her cry
To see you as you were.
And now we look upon your nest,
Indented with your shape.
It's empty and it's sad
You could have been so great
Bye bye, baby bunny
You're in a better place
Where angels need not mow the lawn,
Your nest will be quite safe.

No comments: