Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Crazy Morning

What a trying morning! I was scrambling to get the kids ready so we could get Ben out to his Mom's Day Out program. It's good timing for his day out because as soon as Ted gets home from work, we are out the door! We're going camping for 3 nights, returning on Saturday. That means lots of prep work for me....catching up on laundry, planning meals for 3 days, packing summer clothes for the heat, winter clothes for the cold nights, outdoor play toys, beach toys, bikes, etc. Having the lately higher than normal maintenance Ben out of the house helps me to move much quicker. It's amazing to think that the other three kids at home with me are hardly a factor. Ben didn't take a nap yesterday so he was particularly irate when I dropped him off at the "Monkey Room". He screamed and fought me. He did NOT want to go in! His siblings were all with me, which made matters worse...but they wanted to see the room for the first time! They quickly saw it under the duress of Ben's screams. I told them it wasn't always like this. I even had to leave the stroller in the room because he wouldn't get out (he never walks on his own into the Monkey Room).

Sometimes I wonder when this hard part will end. I look at the other moms and their children are not only walking on their own, but also helping by holding their lunch or blanket. In talking to my neighbor, she reminded me that she is sometimes jealous of the way Ben stays in the yard and doesn't venture out. He also doesn't get into as much stuff as her child who's the same age. It's good to talk to other people to be reminded that everyone has their own battles. What I see is not the whole picture. In the stress of the moment, all I can think about is how much it sucks...but afterwards I can remind myself these truths.

Soon, we'll find out how Ben will be on the trip. I'm going into it with as open of an attitude as possible. I've experienced the worse from him while camping, so I know what can happen...but I also know he's matured since that time. He might enjoy the fresh air and a change of pace and relief from boredom. We'll see.

No comments: