Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Poem About My Dad

OK, Stacey, get your Diet Coke. You'll need it for this one. Today we are celebrating my Dad's 70th birthday and I decided to write him a poem. I started it yesterday and just finished it this morning. Ted insisted I hand write it, which I did. But here is the typed version:

A Poem About my Dad

If you were to ask me
To tell you about my Dad
I’d say he is the strongest man
A girl could ever have

I don’t mean strength in muscles
Although he has those too
I mean a strength that leads a family
With truth and fortitude

He led us like a man who could
Not do it all alone
He drew upon his Father’s strength
Much greater than His own

And if you were to ask me
How did he protect you?
I wouldn’t say “With hired guards
And a loaded gun or two”

We left the house each day
With a prayer of protection
His hand was firm upon my head,
His voice—strong but with affection

There was no greater way than this
That he could show his love
For when he prayed we felt God’s power
And His Spirit from above

And what if you asked me
Were you very rich?
I’d say we had the greatest wealth
A girl could ever wish

It may not be the riches
Of which you have in mind
He gave us things that can’t be bought…
A far more lasting kind

And then you might ask which gift
Does stand out from the other
I would have to say it was
The way he loved my mother

He always said she had great class
And how she was so pretty
She stooped to love this poor, young boy
Who grew up in the city

He loved her through her illness
To honor her was his mission
“Love is not an emotion”, he’d say
“Love is a decision”

“But what about some fun?”, you’d ask
“Did you have that too?”

I can’t express the joy we had
With all he let us do

I remember camping trips
And floats down Jack’s Fork River
Jumping off of rocky bluffs
The water made us shiver!

He discovered Rocky Falls
And caves that no one knew of
It was the beauty God created
In nature that he loved

Of course we loved to sled with him
In the “prairie” on a hill
The cold wind in our faces
Those rides were such a thrill

My dad didn’t only watch
“I’ll do it too!”, he'd tout
I think he had a kid inside
Just waiting to come out

“And what about now?”, you’d say
“You speak just of the past”
And I would say the things he gave
Are ones that always last

I see the things he’s shared with me
He’s sharing with my kids
The same whispers in my ears
Are whispered now in theirs

You know the prayers he taught me?
I pray now with my own
The same Prayer of Protection when
My kids are leaving home

And now my family’s camping
At those places that we did
My kids are jumping of those bluffs
Where I jumped as a kid

I know my dad is older now
And he can’t always stay
But the gifts he’s given me are ones
You cannot take away

You see, he’ll never really leave
His presence is always felt
And if you asked me "Why?" I’d say,
I see him in myself

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee, hee, hee. You addressed this to me?? Silly lady!

I loved this poem. It made me think of your dad with such fondness!! And yes, it made me miss mine, too.