Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Potty Chronicles...The Fourth Child

With all of these "cleaning focus" I got derailed from my plan to potty train Mary. Whenever I put underpants on her, she's doing a better and better job of pottying in the toilet! The problem is, she wants a diaper whenever she wants to poop. Yesterday, she had a doctor's appointment for an ear re-check. I excitedly told him about Ben's good news (Ben was too shy) and said if it wasn't for him, Ben would still be pooping in a pull-up. I told him that now Mary had the problem. He said that you should not keep putting them in a diaper and confirming their fear of pooping in the potty.

With a new determination, I bought Mary new underpants and decided I'd make sure she wore them every day from here on out. The problem is bed time and poop. Since I really haven't had her wear underpants more than a couple of sporadic days, I decided to wait for the underpants at night until we have more successful diaper free days. First thing this morning, I changed her into underpants (as I've said before...it's more about training the parent!). Then it happened, I smelled gas and she asked for a diaper. When she saw I wasn't going to do that, she started crying and begging. I really, really tried. And then I thought maybe it was too much too soon. I'll go along with this for now while we get used to underpants and then work on the poop. She can't POSSIBLY take as long as Ben did. Why do my last two have to do this when my first two didn't?? I have to look on the bright side. I'm on the last one. We are so close!

No matter what the doctor says, I usually don't ignore my instinct. And my instinct says right now, one thing at a time. I just got her peeing on the potty. I don't want to taint it with a lot of fighting about the poop. I want to revel in the pee for right now. Poop...pee...pee...poop...it's all I say anymore...

No comments: