Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Flylady's in the House

Flylady's in the kitchen this week. So I am looking at the areas in my kitchen that need work. My neighbor gave me the idea of using up the items in your pantry. I like the idea that everything in your pantry should get regular use or why keep it? Everything had an intended purpose when I bought it, but somehow I got sidetracked and forgot what the purpose was. Now I'm looking at that Campbell's Cheddar Cheese, Creme of Celery and Creme of Chicken Dijon and feeling uninspired by them. I've changed my cooking style and don't use the "creme of's" anymore.

There are other ingredients I know I can put to use: Stewed tomatoes (pizza or spaghetti sauce), Diced Tomatoes (chili when it gets colder), refried beans (bring a dip to someone's house cause I have a LOT), Artichokes, Chopped Black Olives, Rotini, etc. I decided to pitch the soups and find recipes that include the ingredients in my pantry to use them up. The other items in my pantry are easy to use and don't take much thought like the instant potatoes, pancake mix, canned corn, etc. And why do I have two bottles of syrup?? And why did I buy more spaghetti when I already had some stuffed in the back? If I knew what was in my pantry, made a planned list, this wouldn't happen. Now I am making a planned list, but I just now figured out what was IN my pantry.

I'm hoping in the future when I purchase food, I can follow through on my plans to make it. I'll often get excited about a recipe... make it... no one likes it... and I had already bought double the amount of ingredients! I'm also looking at my pantry and wondering how I can organize it better? Time to search the internet!!

No comments: