Tuesday, July 15, 2008

More Volunteering?

I remember, when I just had Mary, and Ben was only 18 months old...feeling a great desire to be a part of the world that was "out there"...the one that I saw other people participating in, but I felt like I was stuck in my home. It was a particularly hard time for me. I like to have time to do things I enjoy and at that time, I felt all I could do was take care of my children and my house and those two things were all encompassing. I knew I didn't want it any different, however. I knew I always wanted four children and this is what I would have to go through before things got easier. I remember talking to my mother-in-law and saying I would like to work for our Care Service some day. The Care Service is a Crisis Intervention Agency that is associated with my parish. Basically, it's a community outreach for the needy. I remember telling her that and feeling like it would be so far away before I could do something like that...but now the time is here!

Just yesterday, I met with the Case Manager Supervisor at the Care Service. Me and three others were given a tour, told about the organization and it's goals, and explained what a Case Manager does. I found myself so happy to be there! Like this was the place I wanted to be a part of for a long time! There was another woman there who sat off to the side. I wondered why she was there. I found out that the organization was working to get accredited and this woman, Nancy, was in charge of that process. When I heard what would be involved for her...documenting the procedures for every job, making sure everything was written up in step by step format....I got really excited! That it was I gravitate to! I do it naturally whether I'm told to or not! I remember when I was preparing for my maternity leave with Sam, I made a manual on my job! And when I was asked to take over scheduling for the call center, I had to take this man's gut feelings on numbers and get formulas out of him so someone else could do the job. And when I did PTO, it drove me crazy that there was little in writing on how to do the job. All year as President, I documented everything I did and wrote up procedures so the next person would find it easier. This is what I like to do! And this woman was doing it! I wanted to work for her!

My excitement came across the table when I am telling her that I could help, in any small way she needs it. Before I knew it, I was asked to help on the committee and I'm scheduled to train tomorrow at 1pm. She said a lot of it would probably be computer work at home. Not only this, but I still want to do the Case Manager job. They needed someone on Fridays and they happen to work a shorter shift on Friday. Case Managers work 10-1pm! No problem! Mary will be in Mom's Day Out on Mondays and Fridays 9:30-2:30...this would work perfectly! I walk in signing up for one job and walk out with two.

Just days ago, I was wondering if I was making the jump to the Care Service to quickly. I only have two five hour days free and I'm giving one of them up. Am I crazy? And didn't I offer to help the school? I was getting worried that I was starting this too soon with a child still needing care at home. The PTO was evening and weekend events with a lot of at home planning. Helping the school and the Care Service was out of the house...and I had less of that time. But for some reason, I was being pulled in that direction. And now, after meeting at the Care Service, I think it will fit perfectly. It will fit because it will feel rewarding for me to use my time this way. What else would I do? Digital Scrapbook? Maybe I can do that on Mondays :-)

No comments: