Friday, February 10, 2006

My Crazy Shower Days

I'm still writing with a handicapped shift key. My fingers are getting used to pounding away. I might develop carpal tunnel or something. Ted said we'll bring our sick laptop to the service shop. I'm looking forward to getting it fixed!

Boy I had a crazy morning. My showers are still not always stress free. Ben will still come in scream at the top of his lungs, "Mommy, hold yooouuuuuu!!!! Mommy hold yoooooouuuu!!!". He'll open my shower door and everytime I close it, he'll open it again. So sometimes I just redirect the shower head closer to the wall and I shower in the corner so the floor doesn't get all wet. Sometimes he'll open the bathroom door and I freeze my butt off. Sometimes he'll cry for a little, then he loses interest and leaves to go watch TV...that's a good day.

Today, was just a crazy day. I wanted to take an early shower because my Dad called and said he would watch the kids if I wanted to do something with Mom. She was out for the moment but would be back. Since I didn't have the time to wait for Mary's nap, it meant I would have to shower with Ben and Mary in the room with me. I took a deep breath and nonchalantly as I could, told Ben I was going to take a shower. The protests started. I set about my way towards the bathroom. I pretend his protests don't bother me. As I was showering, and he was complaining, Mary climbs into the sink. Ben is distracted and starts playing. "Well, this isn't so bad...". Ben starts pumping soap into a cup and then adds a couple of squirts to my contact solution. "Here, Mary", he says. "Ben! Don't give that to Mary!". Then I notice someone has turned the water on and she is soaking wet. Oh well, so she's wet...I can't do anything about that now. She's not hurting anything being in the sink. Then she grabs my pretty, ceramic toothbrush holder! "Mary NO!" I jump out of the shower to save my prized toothbrush older. I figured I would take the matching soapdish while I was at it because I'm sure she would go for that next. I hop back in the shower. Then Ben runs out. OK....cool. He comes back in screaming that he's scared. Mary had turned on the clock radio earlier (during a climbing excursion) and Ben was hearing the DJ's voices and it scared him. He wanted me to hold him PRONTO. So I rushed through the rest of my shower, quickly completing a calf and shin shave. While he waited, he pulled my pretty (display only) bath towels and hand towels off their respective bars. My bathroom was in utter chaos...all so I could take a stinkin' shower.

My lunch with Mom at the Bread Company (Panera Bread) was worth it, though. My children were happily playing with my Dad and I could focus on a meal in peace and pleasant conversation. It's really hard to believe, but someday I will take my showers for granted. I will be able to shave my legs without rushing, keep the door closed, keep warm and be alone with my thoughts and I will probably have forgotten all about these crazy shower days....until Ben or Mary call me complaining about their kids....then I'll give 'em an earful!

No comments: